Windows XP hangs up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP hangs up?

I have been excountering a problem with my Windows XP Professional installation. I am running on an Intel motherboard with a Pentium4 at 1.7Ghz with 256mb of PC800 memory, and a GeForce2 MX-200 video card.

For no apparent reason, my system will appear to hang up. When the Start button on the keyboard is pressed, the task bar and the start menu will try to appear, but it is mostly just a white "hole". Various other screen and window elements will either not be painted, or will be painted at an incorrect position on the screen.

When the system FINALLY responds to my CTRL-ALT-DEL, the taskmgr shows that explorer.exe is running at 99% cpu utilization.

I can recover the system (mostly) by ending the explorer.exe process, and then starting it again from the application tab, new task function.

Has anyone else experienced this?

And, has anyone any idea what is causing this and how to avoid it?

I never use those power features as I've found that they cause more trouble then they're worth so my pc's are always set to always on so the power switch is all that's used. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

This is not as a result of standy or hibernate modes, nor is it a power-off-after-a-period-of-inactivity problem. It will happen while I am actively typing in the middle of working on a programming project.

Comment

The start buttons on keyboards are usually there for starting ya system up when enabled. :smokin:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I have winXP Pro and have been having a similar problem lately. Explorer will lock up or bog down, not sure which. But, it's happened when using media player, using explorer, using kazaa, etc...

so, i'm not sure what the cause of it is, but it's damn annoying.

Comment

Working...
          X