Broken case switch...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken case switch...

Hello everyone, this is my first post on tweaktown and I look forward to reading and learning here. However I must impose a question amongst you knowledgeable peeps.
    I am working on a Dell Optiplex 745 for one of my "clients". I use the word vaguely because I just fix comps as a weekly hobby, im not an actual repairman. Anyhow, Ive concluded its just a broken case switch; this is where I need you help. Normally you can follow the leads to the mobo and short the two pins. With this comp, being that its a Dell, the leads connect to something like a 24 pin connector not allowing me to short it.
    Never the less I know its the case switch but just for my edification how would I jump something like this?

Re: Broken case switch...

i dont tink its connected to the 24-pin MB connector?
    i think Dells hav this proprietry connector maybe, its lyk a module which connects the switch,reset,and LED's together in one thick wire.

r u sure its connected to the 24-pin connector? :S
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

Comment

You might try running the service tag number through Dell and see if you can get a schematic of the different parts of the system. They sometimes include this in the documentation, so it would be a good place to start. If that fails, hit up Google for something in the line of "Dell Optiplex bypass power button" and see if someone else has had the problem and already solved it for you.

Good luck!
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by randomness View Post
        i dont tink its connected to the 24-pin MB connector?
        i think Dells hav this proprietry connector maybe, its lyk a module which connects the switch,reset,and LED's together in one thick wire.

r u sure its connected to the 24-pin connector? :S
        No its not the actual 24-pin mobo connector but something that resembles a mini version of it. I assume it is their proprietary connector; here is a diagram with number 8 being the front panel connector (http://tinyurl.com/4mu3ex). How in the world am I supposed to fix a switch like that?! This really angers me guys, a simple fix like a power button can't be fixed because of some proprietary connector?
        My last resort is just to set the BIOS to wake on keyboard.
        Last edited by Arnoldgenes; 09-24-2008, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Cut the wire right at the switch itself?

Comment

Working...
          X