Stuck on 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck on 18

I am currently upgrading a computer from WIndows ME to XP. I have gotten through the first 3 parts but now I'm on Finallizing Installation and its stuck on 18 minutes remaining. It did this yesterday and I turned it off a couple of times but its still doing it!!! What can i do to finish the install?? How can i cancel the upgrade to get Windows ME back?? I really need to work on the computer so your replies will be alot of help.:shoot3: :shoot2:

Are you sure you are following all the directions as it gives them to you.

Example: removing disks as it states.

I like to think of WindowsME as the 500 megabyte virus and would not recomend using it at all.

Comment

I'm fairly sure that once it get's to that stage of the installation, then there ain't no going back. :(

As for the error, it could be many things. I'd have to suggest that you wipe your HDD and start with a fresh install. I know it's probably not what you want to do at this point, but I can't see any other option.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
        I'm fairly sure that once it get's to that stage of the installation, then there ain't no going back. :(

As for the error, it could be many things. I'd have to suggest that you wipe your HDD and start with a fresh install. I know it's probably not what you want to do at this point, but I can't see any other option.
        If you have a second computer, I suggest taking out the hard-drive in this machine that is messing up, put it on slave mode, and stick it into a good PC, then transfer the files to a good Hard-Drive if you indeed need to save files.

Comment

Did you run the Compatibility test before the install? :?:

Comment

Now there's a good point Wiggo:thumb:

If that goes well, I would go with a fresh install.
            There is only the possibility of trouble to be had using the upgrade method. Just leaves you wide open for errors.
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

another possibility is a hardware problem, try removing all ure cards except for the essential ones and try that...

this happened with me on 98se, as my soundcard stopped the "detecting plug and play devices" from finishing....

Comment

I had a similar problem.... Also try turning OFF plug and play aware in bios.:eek:

Comment

Working...
                X