direct 8 support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• direct 8 support

Howdy, was just wondering about the direct x 8 support in the new geforce 4 mx440's...

What does that mean? Any direct 8 game won't run correctly with this card?? Or it just doesn't support all the tricky things directx 8x does???

Also, anyone had a geforce 2 mx 400 64meg card where the video out has just stopped working?? Hmm..
    anyway..

catchyas

maggoty

[b]Howdy, was just wondering about the direct x 8 support in the new geforce 4 mx440's...
    There is none.
    [b]What does that mean? Any direct 8 game won't run correctly with this card?? Or it just doesn't support all the tricky things directx 8x does???
    That may vary between parts just not being shown or shown propperly to maybe not running at all depending on the software. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Things just won't look as nice / pretty as they would on a proper DX8 supported board. If you've seen the 3DMark 2001 benchmarks that only work on a DX8 card, you'll see what i'm talking about.. :)

Comment

I believe the difference is in the pixel shaders. Full DX8 support requires that to be implemented in hardware, the GF4 MX has a software emulated pixel shader. Not as good and slightly slower. Will the average person notice? Who knows.......

Comment

Depends. I've got a GF2Ti that handles DX8 stuff fairly well. If you don't intend to play or have many DX8 games, you probably won't miss anything. However, it can't hurt. The only DX8 card I have is in my main/gaming rig. The others, so long as they can play the games well enough...who cares. I've still got GF2 cards in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan_Lander
            Depends. I've got a GF2Ti that handles DX8 stuff fairly well.
            The GF2Ti still doesn't support the full range of DirectX 8 features. Only the GF3 / 4 in the nVidia line do.

Comment

Yeah and if the software is programed to look for a DX8 card and doesn't find one it just may not play but then that would be up to the programmers but it was done a few years back when a video acceleration was required whether ya CPU could handle the load in software or not. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. :smokin:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
              X