I Just Came Across This. WOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Just Came Across This. WOW!

I was over at the VR Zone this morning and came across their Athlon XP Overclocking Database and there were was some fairly exotic coolin' measures with some of them like a Liquid Nitrogen cooled 1800+@2209MHZ, a Dry Ice cooled 1800+@2115MHz, a Vapochill unit 1900+@2065MHz to a water cooled 1800+ job @2051MHz and the best of the air cooled 1900+@1920MHz but ya really got to wonder how long the CPU's would last under these stressed out conditions though. :eek:
    <center></center>

Nice numbers there:D

Just thinking out loud here; isn't the real stress going to be heat?

If the system is stable, the only factor that would limit performance should be CPU temps, managing the heat factor, should provide a sustainable solution, shouldn't it:?:

I would speculate that 1) a stable hardware environment 2) managed heat buildup 3) a refined/stable source of electrical power __ should result in a long term usable CPU.

Being man-made, it will someday fail. Provided you can acquire the 3 factors listed above, wouldn't it be expected to have a "full life"?

Hec, I don't know __ just mulling it through out loud:toung:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
      Nice numbers there:D

Just thinking out loud here; isn't the real stress going to be heat?

If the system is stable, the only factor that would limit performance should be CPU temps, managing the heat factor, should provide a sustainable solution, shouldn't it:?:

I would speculate that 1) a stable hardware environment 2) managed heat buildup 3) a refined/stable source of electrical power __ should result in a long term usable CPU.

Being man-made, it will someday fail. Provided you can acquire the 3 factors listed above, wouldn't it be expected to have a "full life"?

Hec, I don't know __ just mulling it through out loud:toung:
      gee, you must think a lot then ;) :p
      TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Originally posted by Andy

gee, you must think a lot then ;) :p
        Not a condition I'm used to - got anything for a headache
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

The thing is that if these CPU's are powered on and off the extreme variables will most certainly come into play as coolin' is shut off or in the case of dry ice and LN as the source of coolin' evaporates losin' it effectiveness before bein' replenished. :(
          The water, vapochill and extreme air coolin' measures would probably fair better if the system was in an always on state negating extremes in the power up/down cycle I spose. :?:
          <center></center>

Comment

yes all is well and good with CPU life but in these "extremes" they up Vio and Vcore voltages and FSBs, there isn't only stress on the CPU, u will be stresst the copper links and interconnects, system components, ie HDDs, NICs, Video Cards...etc, theres more to it than just the life of the CPU.... but anyway, if u can afford LN cooling rigs, you can probably afford a spare CPU anyhoo...

but yeah, think of a light bulb and why they blow eventually, the stress on the wire in the bulb becomes too much eventually and it craps out..

Comment

Working...
            X