To shim or not to shim.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To shim or not to shim.....

I have read some articles that have said that cranking down the water block as tight as it would go has helped as much as 5°C. Maybe more. But they insist that you don't do it with out a shim. I have heard other people say that adding a shim isn't worth the trouble. I want to get the most out of my system that I can and if that means 5°C by buying a shim and cranking down the WB then I'm game. I know that adding a shim SHOULD help protect my proc, but will the temp difference be worth it? Any thoughts, or opinions???

For the price of a shim compared to the price of a cpu, i went with a shim.
    i may only be air cooling, but with the use of artic silver 3 the tempscame out at the same, or 1 or 2 degrees cooler if anything (from the silver).

Comment

The way some water blocks lock down it maybe wise to invest in a shim but make sure that ya get the appropriate shim for ya CPU. :smokin:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

How does a shim stay on?

Comment

The shim is held in place by the cooler. ;)
          Now that may help some with your sig by attaching there if they see that post. I had to backtrack ya link to pick up the cookie for it. :)

Comment

OK...so I get a shim.

I'm using the DD Maze3 with the nylon nut, bolt, and sping setup. So it's difficult to apply more pressure evenly.

Next question....

Is it really important to get a non-conductive shim? I've only seen one for sale online. All of the others have been copper or aluminum. So is conductivity really an issue (assuming that one buys the right shim for his proc.)?

Comment

With Athlon/Durons it would be saver to get the non-conductive if ya can but not eccential. :smokin:

Comment

I use a non-conductive shim...why i dunno but Beefy recommended me to do so...so i did...seriously tho try get non-conductive shims like that heat doesn't stay around the core like a copper shim may do.: peace2:
                - Damien

Comment

That's another thing if ya get the plastic one as it won't store heat like metal ones will. :smokin:

Comment

My Non-Conductive shim is this exact one:
                    - Damien

Comment

...you gotta use this man...Artic Silver 3 is the BOMB!
                      - Damien

Comment

I got a good shim story:

My friend was building a new system, epox 8kha+, 1333 Thundy, Volcano7, so i told him to get a shim, and if you have ever held the V7 you would know why.

So he gets an all copper shim, pretty nice, and damn shiny, so he puts everything together and fires her up...
                        *POP* *FiZz* *Krackle* (no he wasnt eating cereal)
                        smoke shot outta his case.

As he opened the case and pushed the smoke away nothing looked weird except when he tried to remove the heatsink he couldnt.

The shim had somehow connected the bridges of the athlon causing it to overheat to such a high degree that it actually melted half of the socket itself to the pins and the heatsink!

He will never live that down. So remember kids, when putting a shim on a proc with surface bridges, make sure its the right direction.

Oh and cnet wouldnt take his mobo back because he was one day over the 30-day warrantee, but he had to wait about 28 days to get the cpu to even try the mobo hah. It just keeps getting better and better doesnt it?:snip:

Comment

Sounds like either a/ it was the wrong type shim or b/ he put the thing on the wrong way or c/ Arctic Silver was smeered in the wrong place. :rolleyes2

Comment

Originally posted by Dinkus
                            So remember kids, when putting a shim on a proc with surface bridges, make sure its the right direction.
                            I think that tells us wiggo.. :)

Comment

oooo wiggo, beefy is being a smartarse:D

Comment

Working...
                              X