PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Detection Problem

AngryN3rd
06-09-2002, 12:41 PM
Alright so my Epox EP-3SPA3 motherboard (for a P3 800mhz cpu) is being a homosexual. Everything is set up right but it doesnt quite detect the hard drive. The "Auto-Detection" in the BIOS fails to work correctly. When i enter the specifics of the hard drive manually it still doesn't quite work. The guys at Epox said to update my BIOS, that didn't correct the problem. Any input would be more than appreciated.

Raven
06-09-2002, 12:54 PM
Check the jumper settings on the hard drive. I recently had a quite similar problem with my EPoX board that had me scratching my head and uttering a few curses.

If you're using one drive, make sure it's set to the default factory setting, and not Master (with slave).. Sometimes the manufacturer will assume that if you have a Master, you'll likewise have the Slave attatched. The BIOS freaks out when it can't find the slave and doesn't detect your drive.

Hope this helps.

[edit]
Note that on my ASUS P3B, the Master jumper setting worked when using only one Hard Dive. When I switched my HD over to the EPoX with the same settings, it would NOT detect it. I suppose it has to do with the BIOS they selected for the EPoX board.

Wiggo
06-09-2002, 12:57 PM
This is the forum for this question. ;)
Did the drive work in the overclocked state before, are you trying to set it up in the overclocked state, what is the drive? :?:
<center>:cheers:</center>

AngryN3rd
06-12-2002, 07:05 AM
Hey Raven~

Thanks for your advice man. it was in fact the jumper settings. on my old motherboard i needed it to be set on master, and i suppose it causes some kind of problem with Epox boards now.

thanks you're great

Morgan_Lander
06-12-2002, 08:31 AM
Sounds like you got bit by the "Western Digital 'gotcha jumper settings' " (quoting my dad).

Mr. C
06-12-2002, 09:58 AM
LOL
Yeah, that drove me to distraction for a bit one time.