PDA

View Full Version : Soyo SY-K7VTA Pro Bios question.....

webe3
06-10-2002, 05:36 AM
I read on the soyo website that if I ever wanted to go higher than a AMD athlon xp 2000 chip for the soyo SY-K7VTA Pro motherboard, (MY board and chip ) I would have to flash my bios....(you would have to flash the bios for a AMD athlon xp 2100 for instance) however they reccomend NOT doing this because if it is improperly done, the bios chip would have to be sent to them for re-flashing? I was told by a friend that you can BUY a bios chip for the motherboard you have by contacting the manufacturer, all of this confuses me! Would it not just be easier to buy a bios chip for your board rather than flash it?? (What I mean by that is...wouldn't it be safer than flashing the bios just to go get a bios chip that is made for the right chip clockspeed, instead of flashing it??) If you can tell me in simple laymans terms, I would appreciate it!

outvit
06-10-2002, 07:02 AM
Well as simple as possible, the BIOS is a very delicate thing and should not be messed with too much without the knoledge to do so. If SOYO will take the board back and re-flash it for you then I suggest you take that route.

To my knoledge I have never heard of this thing where you can buy new BIOS chips and I would definetly not recomend doing this anyway. The BIOS chip is saudered onto the motherboard.

Wiggo
06-10-2002, 09:50 AM
A lot of BIOS chips are of the plug in sort these days. :smokin:
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

outvit
06-10-2002, 09:27 PM
A lot of BIOS chips are of the plug in sort these days. :smokin:
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

I am trying to get accross that it will most likely void your warranty and can potentially destroy the motherboard if you don't do it right.

RDR
06-11-2002, 05:05 AM
I've never owned a Soyo...but i've probably flashed the bios on various types of systems at least 100 times - and I've yet to have a problem.

Just sitck with the mfg approved bios' - not the beta or modded ones. And most downloadable bios files include a readme, make sure you follow the instructions to the letter

I definately think flashing a bios is easier than changing a socketed bios chip for a newbee

outvit
06-11-2002, 06:27 AM
I've never owned a Soyo...but i've probably flashed the bios on various types of systems at least 100 times - and I've yet to have a problem.

Just sitck with the mfg approved bios' - not the beta or modded ones. And most downloadable bios files include a readme, make sure you follow the instructions to the letter

I definately think flashing a bios is easier than changing a socketed bios chip for a newbee

Well flashing comes with a known risk... There is always the chance that it will fffff up and something will go wrong... I have only used downloadable bios updates once and that was with my MSI board. It was pretty straight forward and I encountered no problems but be aware that the message, "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK" appears on the site.

Wiggo
06-11-2002, 11:19 AM
The main thing when flashing is to never interupt the process or power while this is being done or ya will hose the BIOS. :smokin:
<center>:cheers:</center>

outvit
06-11-2002, 09:15 PM
The main thing when flashing is to never interupt the process or power while this is being done or ya will hose the BIOS. :smokin:

OUCH! Has that ever happened to you Wiggo??? Jeez, just get a UPS while doing this. :)

Wiggo
06-11-2002, 10:03 PM
No it never has but there are those I know of who had. :rolleyes2
:beer: :beer: :beer:

outvit
06-12-2002, 04:08 AM
No it never has but there are those I know of who had. :rolleyes2
:beer: :beer: :beer:

So... How did this friend of yours wind up fixing the problem?

Wiggo
06-12-2002, 11:46 AM
I ordered in another BIOS chip for him and inserted it as I couldn't find a suitable one for a loan for a hot fix. :smokin:

Albinus
06-12-2002, 05:10 PM
I've never stuffed up a BIOS upgrade, and I'm pretty unlucky..... so it's probably advisable to DIY (providing you have a reliable power source). I just avoid flashing BIOS chips at 6AM and 10PM (when the heavy industry gets turned on in my neighbourhood) ;)

RDR
06-13-2002, 04:32 AM
Well flashing comes with a known risk... There is always the chance that it will fffff up and something will go wrong... I have only used downloadable bios updates once and that was with my MSI board. It was pretty straight forward and I encountered no problems but be aware that the message, "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK" appears on the site.

installing any type of software or firmware carries a risk..in that it may not install properly, the difference with a bios flash is that it results in a system that won't boot.
the solution (as long as your bios is socketed) is to pop in another chip - not really a big deal.

the "use at own risk" statement is most likely so that the mfg won't have to cover failed bios flashes under warranty :D