Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poor old 3dfx.....what ever happened to them???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor old 3dfx.....what ever happened to them???

Man! I can remember the days when the voodoo(1,2,3, etc.) cards were the thing! Now, more or less, they are considered a joke by some of the more serious gamers! It is either the radeon or nvidia geforce 3 or 4 Ti cards that are getting the market share now! What happened to that company? Did they get a shakeup in management or something??
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

After making some poor marketing decisions, nVidia bought them out. Case closed.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I miss the rivalry, Nvidia monopolizes the market. Matrox needs to get back in the game with their new card.

Comment

nvidia don't really have a monopoly... ATi are doing fairly well with the Radeon cards... but once the Parhelia comes out, things should change a little bit.

Comment

ahhh........back in the day.
          I miss Aureal too.
          3DFX and Aureal really added a whole new effect on my ol' computer. Oh well, onwards and upwards:thumb:
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

You might want to see what Creative does in the future as well. I understand that they just bought out 3dLabs and are planning on getting into the consumer level 3d market again... as well as keeping up with the CAD level video cards as well. :)
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

webe3 __ I've put this link in this forum somewhere before:?:
              But anyway, here's a nice article on nVidia/3DFX from salon

It's a pretty good read that should cover your question well.
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Ahhh Aureal.....I loved my Vortex 1 card. Went really well with my Videologic PowerVR card. They're another one that disappeared, their technology got bought by Kyro I think.....

Comment

And a big thanks to all the folks who keep the drivers for these products online. Nice to have in case my media takes a dump:thumb:

Comment

Yeah listen to Darthtanion, Creative is really planning some revolutionary video card designs as well as chips. Things should get interesting as soon as Creative jumps in the pit. I used to love their cards based off the 3dfx chips, they had the coolest boxes. :p

Comment

Thanks Mr c! I will read the article! And thanks for the replys...Yeah, I think if Creative Labs gets in the game....things may just change...they have the money and talent to go head to head with an established company like nvidia or radeon! Competition is good for consumers, that is why I was wondering what happened to a company like 3dfx that made such good chips in the past! Oh, well, too bad they couldn't have handled their finances better! They were a pretty good company that made chips at a decent price! For now though, it looks like either radeon or nvidia, not many choices!!
                      Here are my specs:
                      System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Comment

Yesterday i saw a voodoo 3 for sale NEW at www.gamedude.com.au PCI for $99 i would of been tempted execpt for the fact I have a spare voodoo 3 sitting on my shelf at home :D
                        But it wasn't made by 3Dfx, it was a 3rd party one, i thought they stopped doing that after the 2 and banshee:confused:

Comment

I still use my Voodoo5-5500 for Quake and QuakeII as Quake won't even run on my RADEON 8500 and the Voodoo5's image quality is far better in QuakeII.

Also, 3dfx's 4x FSAA is superior to even the Parhelia-512's 16x AA.

3dfx is dead. Long live 3dfx.:afro:

Comment

It does my ol' heart good to see that others are as loyal to their beloved 3DFX cards as I am.

I can picture an annual event where we all get together on a long holiday weekend where we can swap stories, drivers, run benchmarks and have a flea-market.
                            It'll be like a Thresherman's Reunion for 3DFX'ers:thumb:

Comment

I'd love to own a Voodoo 5 6000, but at the prices they go for on eBay when auctioned off...sheesh! Still, that would be cool to have, even if it wasn't working.

Comment

Working...
                              X