geforce3 and winxp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• geforce3 and winxp

I'm running a new system with a geforce3 ti200 card and winxp. I went to the nvidia website to download the drivers for xp/2000 (I bought the card at fry's, and it didn't come with any drivers). After installing though, I'm getting all sorts of errors installing the software. Messages regarding incompatibility with winxp, and whenever I restart, XP acts like it has just found new hardware and forces me to go through the little hardware installation wizard.

Once in awhile I get redraw error messages as well, and the screen freezes up. Anyone know what's going on here? Any suggestions are appreciated.

You get an incompatibility error with the drivers? As long as you downloaded the WinXP drivers, then all you should get in a warning that the drivers have not been digitally signed, and it asks if you want to continue.

Did you actually get the drivers installed or not? if not, then that could be why you are getting errors elsewhere. While the Win XP drivers do work OK, they aren't exactly the best to use, especially if you've started to install the Detonator drivers from nVidia.

Comment

The winxp drivers seem to work, while the nvidia drivers don't. I was able to successfully install them, but they cause my computer to freeze randomly. So the Detonator drivers should work, regardless of the winxp warning then?

I noticed something rather strange when looking at the box the video card came in. The picture of the card on the box is different from what I actually got. It's not a normal box... it's this cardboard thing with a geforce3 sticker on it. I bought it at Fry's... I don't know if they repackaged this thing or what. It didn't come with any drivers or manuals. Anyways, the card that came with it says "nvidia" on it with logo and all, but the pic on the box shows a video card with 3 heatsinks and a fan. Mine has a single heatsink and no fan.

I have no idea what a geforce3 ti200 is supposed to look like. Could the physical appearance between geforce3 ti200 cards be that different, or should I be going back to Fry's to complain about a product screwup?

Comment

You maybe just suffering the dreaded NV Loop too which would just mean a little experimentation with different driver versions. :smokin:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by Yohhan
          Anyways, the card that came with it says "nvidia" on it with logo and all, but the pic on the box shows a video card with 3 heatsinks and a fan. Mine has a single heatsink and no fan.
          ?
          I thought all gf3 cards had some form of active cooling on them.. It should have a fan.. How hot does the card get? You could be getting errors because it's overheating...

Comment

No fan. Just a thought... what does a geforce2 card look like? Is there a picture I can look at somewhere? Also is there some identifying feature on the card that would verify it is actually a geforce3 ti200? Whether or not geforce3's can have fans or not, I find it odd that I wasn't given what was shown on the box. Best thing for me to do might be to go back over to Fry's tomorrow and ask about it.

Wiggo: I don't think it would be the loop problem. Brand new system, and I installed the drivers for the first time today. XP doesn't reset when it happens either... it just stops. I haven't changed the setting for that.

Comment

Have a look thru this and see wot ya come up with. :smokin:

Comment

Thanks for the link... can't find any that look like mine. I think I'll just try going over to fry's tomorrow.

Comment

what did XP recognise the card as?

Comment

I HAVE a geforce 3Ti200 card made by PNY and it DEFINATELY has a fan!! (The verto series does anyway, which is what mine is) You can go on google and type in the EXACT name of the card that you have and it should bring up some websites that show a picture of your card! Then you can look and see what it is supposed to look like.....but I would think that ANY Ti series geforce3 card would have to have a fan because it got so hot! Your talking about a chip made for hardcore gamers....not just some geforce2 card that usually has no fan at all!!
                    Here are my specs:
                    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Comment

I've heard most geforce2 cards have fans as well. The problem is, I don't know the make of the card:( It came in this cheesy cardboard box with a geforce3 ti200 sticker on it. The card itself doesn't say anything, and doesn't look anything like the pic on the box. XP detects it as a geforce3 ti200. The card was really getting pretty hot... I went ahead and ordered a fan for it, so I'll see how that goes. Fry's wouldn't take it back since I cut off the UPC? code for the rebate.

Comment

i would be very careful believing anything that fry's tells you. I've had very bad experiences with the one in houston and they don't give a ****. Putting a ****ty video card in a box with a geForce3 sticker sounds like **** that they would do. I just don't trust them if you can't tell. However, they have good prices and all kinds of goodies so you've gotta take the good with the bad i suppose.

Comment

I'm starting to get that impression about them as well. This is the second problem I've had:-( Next time I may order my stuff online instead.

Comment

I'm starting to get that impression about them as well. This is the second problem I've had:-( Next time I may order my stuff online instead.
                            Well, I have never been to a Fry's, nor have I ever seen a Fry's store, they aren't in this area at all.... BUT I am going to have to defend Fry's on this. Did you honestly expect getting what you wanted despite doing SO little reasearch that you didn't know what BRAND, MODEL, or even CHIPSET card you were buying?

Its no one's fault but your own. And making purchases like you made going ONLINE to buy them will only make the situation WORSE !!! -- Don't kid yourself.

Comment

Well, first off I didn't purchase the card myself. My friend came along to help pick out the parts. I was just writing checks, as I don't trust myself purchasing my own parts for that reason. There's no way I'd do something like this solo yet.

I still think it's ridiculous that they had a picture of one card on the box, and then have something different inside. I went out and purchased a GPU fan and some heatsinks and the card works now. According the the box, it should have come with those things.

Comment

Working...
                              X