PDA

View Full Version : Installing XP home on a second machine

Yohhan
06-11-2002, 11:21 AM
Recently purchased XP home edition and installed into onto my older Dell. A few weeks ago I built a new system though, and switched some of the devices in the Dell over to the new machine. I know that XP registers the mac addresses of my hardware with MS to prevent piracy, so will this stop me from being able to put XP on my new machine? I thought maybe XP might recognize some of the recycled parts from the old system and let me slide.

If not, how can I get XP onto my new machine? Do I have to actually call up Microsoft about this? It's not as if I'm pirating software, I just upgraded to a new computer. Thanks for the help.

Wiggo
06-11-2002, 11:58 AM
You'll have to be contacting M$. :(
:beer: :beer: :beer:

Yohhan
06-11-2002, 12:08 PM
Wow, that's ridiculous. Fortunately, XP didn't come with the Dell though. I bought the Dell in '99 and it came with win98. Just purchased XP seperately about a month and a half ago.

Wiggo
06-11-2002, 12:44 PM
It's really only a formality so do sweat it. :smokin:
:beer: :beer: :beer:

Darthtanion
06-11-2002, 01:07 PM
Yep... you'll just need to contact Microshaft and get a new activation code.

But now you see why I have an open license version. With all the component testing that I do, can you see having to reactivate the damn OS every other week at least?

Yohhan
06-11-2002, 01:10 PM
Yeah that would definitely be a pain. How much did an open license cost you?

Will XP complain if I add/remove one or two devices and then reinstall?

Darthtanion
06-11-2002, 01:39 PM
The cost isn't that much lower than the retail, but the convenience of not having to activate the damn thing is well worth it.

As for the installations/activations, it depends on what you're installing or upgrading. As a rule, Microshaft says that you can install upwards of 5-6 components during a set period of time. But if you replace items like the NIC or the mainboard, it will force an immediate reactivation.

fragman
06-11-2002, 03:06 PM
Don't you have to buy like 5 copies (plus media) under the open licence program?

Darthtanion
06-11-2002, 09:12 PM
Yes you have to purchase five licenses, but all five don't have to be for the WinXP OS. The end cost is about US$40 under retail.