No announcement yet.

Building an Athlon XP 2100 system. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building an Athlon XP 2100 system. . .

I want to build a system that will last for a long time... And I want it to be extremely upgradeable (i.e. no onboard sound, etc.) so that I can always kick in a hundred dollars here and there as newer technology comes out, and still keep up with the latest available systems without buying an entirely new set of hardware.

I use my computer to its fullest extent... 3d graphics and rendering, video editing, sound editing/mixing, etc. So I want the best and most powerful so that I can do the best work that I can do, and as fast as I possibly can.

Here is what I've come up with so far... I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions as to any hardware that is better than what I have listed, what might possibly work more efficiently, or any compatibility issues there might be. I am somewhat knowledgable with computers, however, this will be my first build from scratch. So anything you guys have to tell me, please let me know.

motherboard - Abit KX7-333R
    processor - Athlon XP 2100 1.73GHZ
    1GB RAM - (2) micron DDR 512 2100
    video card - GeForce4 TI 4600
    v.92 modem
    sound card - Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX
    hard drive - 80gb maxtor
    cd-rw - CDR-5W48 Internal EIDE/ATAPI CD-RW Drive
    dvd-ram - Compaq/Panasonic LF-D211V Internal ATAPI (EIDE)
    controller card - visiontek Firewire 1394 IEEE PnP PCI I/O Card

And I plan on putting all of this in this case:

(Mid Towner case With p4-400W Power Supply
    Height 16'' Width 8'' Length 16.5''
    4 internal CD Rom drive size space
    6 internal Floppy/Zip/Hard drive space)

If your getting a KT333 mainboard - why not get Pc2700 DDR Ram?...It seems like you're going all out with the rest of the system.

the problem with getting the fastest/best of everything is that you pay a 25-40% premium for the extra 5-10% of speed...which you probably don't notice anyway

as far a upgradability goes..good luck

Although that mainboard will likely support a thoroughbread core.. a Hammer will require a new one, as will a serial Hard drive, DDR-2 ram support, and AGP8X.

Nice enough system though...should do everything you want

Comment

With the type of work you'll be doing on your rig, why not look into a dual processor setup? There are quite a few video editing applications and sound editing apps that let you use SMP to it's fullest extent. Though the AMD based dual rigs aren't mature yet, they're getting better. Intel also has any number of dual processor boards available that have been getting very good reviews; even with the enthusiast crowd.

Also, there are a lot of P4 boards that offer built-in Firewire support, so it might make the purchase of a separate card unnecessary.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

I don't know if it's true or not, but I hear that a lower DDR ram is actually better (2100 vs 2700). I don't remember the exact explanation for this; but it made a lot of sense when I was listening. If anybody knows if this is true, let me know, or if anybody thinks this crazy and wants me to find out what the explanation was, I'll do that and post it.

And in regards to the mainboard... What would be a better board to get?

And I'm not familiar with thoroughbred and hammer, etc. So if anyone cares to enlighten me, that would be great.

And as far as all the things I posted, nobody sees any compatibility issues? It looks like that will work fine?

Thanks

Comment

The timings, like CAS speed (2 is better than 2.5), not the PCxxxx rating. PC2700 can run at 333MHz natively. PC2100 can run at 266MHz natively. PC1600 can run at 200MHz natively. The PCxxxx rating should be at least 2700 if you want the best performance out of your system. Another thing about RAM is that you want the nanosecond rating to be lower--but this is more important if you overclock, which I can't see you doing for stability reasons. If this doesn't explain it, you could post the link so we can tell you where whoever told you this is incorrect.

The Thoroughbred is a new core for the Athlon XP. Right now, there seems to be an issue with some of the newer Abit boards and the Thoroughbred Athlon XP's. If you don't plan on getting the Thoroughbred, you should be fine.

The Hammer isn't set to be released until late this year at the earliest and will be in a different socket than what you have available to you now.

If I were you I'd also consider a dual-processor setup and possibly a different video card, like a Quadro if you stick to NVidia or a 3D labs card even---though they do get very, very expensive (1,000-3,000 bucks!!!:eek: ) That GF 4 Ti4600 will be excellent for gaming, but may not be all that great for what you plan to run.

Comment

OK here goes...If you are gonna get the KX7-333R you will get a HighPoint Raid Controller; meaning if you are gonna use this Raid setup (which would be a good idea especially with the programs that you are gonna run) you should purchase two hard drives of the same brand,size, and model, and speed. That way you take full advantage of your Raid_0 (it rocks btw). Another thing i recommend is the use of Western Digital Drives. I wouldn't get Maxtor if i were you. Western Digital has a reputation on being reliable. Also, WD has their special edition HD's that come with an 8MB buffer that give it SCSI like performance, they would kick ass in a Raid_0 setup. They have 80GB, 100GB, 120GB models of it. Btw, you do know that Creative's Audigy comes with a Firewire conection with the card...just letting you know just in case. Other than that it looks like kick ass setup...similar to mine but better. :thumb:
            - Damien

Comment

Just make sure you get yourself a quality monitor as well. No point getting all this fancy stuff if you don't get a good screen...

Comment

True Beefy...also...umm have you looked into high speed internet access? Cable, DSL etc...:?:
                - Damien

Comment

I'm not real sure about that case as airflow looks to be very poor. :smokin:
                  <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

as long as i put the proper fans in there and don't do any overclocking shouldn't i be fine?

Comment

from what i've heard, and fromwhat i see you have there, i would definatly look at raid, and personaly more hdd space. maybe you have a good idea of the kind of space you intend on using, but from the sounds of it you might be looking at more, maybe 2 x 60gb hdd for raid. maybe even 2 x 80gb if you intend on doing a resonalble amount of video editing.

Comment

However, if you do a RAID 0 config for the speed, please know that if either drive craps out, it kills the array. This means that the **** happens. In addition to backing up, if you do the RAID 0 array, have a primary drive outside of the array as the OS drive, that way you have a better chance of surviving if one of your disks craps out on you.

Comment

Working...
                        X