Ques about p4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ques about p4

I'm thinking of a major upgrade in my computer hardware, the P4 with 533 fsb at let's say 2,4 or maybe 2,53 ghz with 512 kb cache, how do this compare to amd's best high end processors?
    Is it a big different in performance or is it just the price thats different...? /Thanks

:confused:

Intel are in front with that processor atm till we see what happens later in the year with the "Hammer" range from AMD and maybe even "Barton". But at the speeds both are at little difference between the two will be physically noticable to you unless you are using programs that are benefitted by one or the other so what do you plan on running would probably be of more help to answer your question.
    Anything requiring heavy use of the memory subsystem or SSE2 optimisations will be benefitted by the P4 where anything that requires pure floating point power will be benefitted by the Athlon.
    Remember though that the P4 looks to have a better upgrade path atm as AMD are going to be focusing on a new platform in their "Hammer" range which no one really knows atm how well this will compare to Intel's solution. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Ok I see thank you, so how do you think I would score with the 2.53 ghz, 512 cache and 533 fsb with let say 512 mb rdram pc1066 on a fine asusboard? I'm keeping my ti4600 for the new pc. I understand it not the easiest question to answer but...
      I score just above 8000 with my celeron 1300 clocked to 1500.
      (I'm using 3dmark 2001se default settings) How mutch do you think i could gain with the new setup?

(sorry for my bad english)

Comment

You should be able to score in the region 12000pts. :smokin:

Comment

Hmm, then i'l be beaten by the fastest xp systems anyway... :(

Comment

I doubt that very much as the XP 2200+ is about 1000pts behind and that's with no special tweaking being done to either setup. :smokin:
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Sounds very good to me cause i'm a big fan of Intel... hehe

Comment

:hammer: Intel all the way. I'm going for the 2.0 for around $200. :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by akapaul
                  :hammer: Intel all the way. I'm going for the 2.0 for around 0. :thumb:
                  The top of the line XP's are faster than the 2.0Ghz P4 - save some $$ and get an XP then :D But like Wiggo or whoever said, Intel have run away with it now that they have 133Mhz FSB :mad:

Comment

No doubt that amd latest processors is very powerful, but i'll stick to Intel, just my brand... hehe

Comment

Im in Sydney and havent seen a single 533FSB P4 for sale yet....has anyone else?

With the 533FSB whats a good buy?? SIS 645DX, Intel 845E/G or the VIA one??

Comment

I dont take much notice to what intel release these days, but I think TT reviewed the Intel 845E/G. Personally- Id go with the VIA chipsetted mobo, and steer well clear of the SiS one- they are useless.

I'd also wait it out and see what AMD come up with at the end of the year, but if youre desperate for an upgrade, the 533mhz P4 will get you there.
                        Albeit- expensivly.

Comment

Whats wrong with the SiS ones??
                          From what I've read they performance seems on par with the rest and seems to be stable.
                          Im not saying u are wrong Bahamut Zero.....just wondering why they should be avoided because it is quite cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by buckchoi
                            Whats wrong with the SiS ones??
                            My hardware supplier has advised me to steer clear of the (Epox) SIS P4 mainboards - appearantly they've had an excess amount of RMA's with them.
                            they even offered to swallow the cost of switching SIS boards to i845D boards on all existing orders that hadn't shipped.

...that was about 6 wks. ago...maybe SIS/Epox have solved the problem since then :confused:

Comment

Working...
                            X