GA-P35-DS4 booting to wrong bios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P35-DS4 booting to wrong bios

I have been running the motherboard in the title for almost a year now with a Q6600 processor overclocked to 3.6GHz. Very very stable. I do not use the computer much, maybe an hour a day. Otherwise it's off. Today I did two things and not sure which is the cause. I flashed to the F14a BIOS and also saved my configuration in the bios as a profile using the F11 key in the BIOS. Now even though the bios overclock settings show the 3.6GHz, it boots showing 2.4GHz and shows that in Windows and on a physical CPU speed test it shows 2471MHz. If I go back into the BIOS it still shows the 3.6GHz overclock settings so I know it's not resetting things due to a problem. Looks like it is somehow booting off the secondary BIOS chip and not sure how to stop it. I have since flashed back to F11 with Q-Flash in the bios and no joy. Just for arguement sake I set the system to run at 2300MHz and it still boots up as (267X9x) 2400MHz. Any clue how to kick this thing in the arse and get it to work right? In the BIOS again it always see's the valid overclock settings but when booting physically it like ignores them or boots off the other bios. No easy way to tell that on this motherboard however it has to get the settings from somewhere. As a side note, it is accepting my RAID settings so some of my settings seem to be loading.

As a side note, I do load optimized defaults and reboot after flashing.

Thanks for any advice.

JR
    Last edited by jriker1; 11-28-2008, 06:57 PM.
    CPU
    [email protected] G0 Lapped
    Motherboard
    GA-P35-DS4
    Memory
    2GB OCZ DDR2 6400 CL 3 FlexXLC 3-4-4-12
    Graphics Card
    XFX 8800 GTS
    Power Supply
    OCZ GameXStream 700W

Re: GA-P35-DS4 booting to wrong bios

When you flash and or load optimized defaults (Which you have to do after you flash and save/apply/reboot to BIOS) all your settings will be gone, saved or not

What you likely need to do, sorry I reply as I read, is go back to the newer BIOS you wanted to use but this time you need to remember to disable C1E and EIST because your speeds stated sound like you have left speedstep enabled (EIST & C1E)

So take note of your settings and flash back to the new BIOS, load and save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS and set your SATA/RAID Settings again and then all your overclock settings and disable the above mentioned and then save and go to windows and see if it is fixed

Comment

Thanks for the reply, however wasn't the case. At least on screen I disabled EIST, C1E, virtualization, and one other that eludes me right now. What I just completed doing and worked was a hard reset of the CMOS:

1. Unplug PSU
      2. Remove CMOS Battery
      3. Press and hold power button for one minute
      4. Place jumper on CMOS pin on motherboard
      5. Waited a couple hours (most say 30 minutes is good)
      6. Remove jumper
      7. Put CMOS Battery back in
      8. Plug-in computer
      9. Start system.

I got an error about invalid CMOS and it wanted me to pick a profile to start with. Couldn't select anything however after an initial restart when it self selected a starting profile was able to access the keyboard (ps/2). I then also set all my settings and wala 3.6GHz showing again. If you ask me @BIOS screwed up my computer but can't be sure.

JR
      CPU
      [email protected] G0 Lapped
      Motherboard
      GA-P35-DS4
      Memory
      2GB OCZ DDR2 6400 CL 3 FlexXLC 3-4-4-12
      Graphics Card
      XFX 8800 GTS
      Power Supply
      OCZ GameXStream 700W

Comment

Yes, that error is normal and you should see it every time you fully clear the CMOS. I have noted that in the Qflash Guide, in the How to Clear CMOS post >>>

Ya, @BIOS is for sure not recommended but I don't think now that you have it going that it could be affecting you. Normally when it gets you ya end up having to RMA or if you get lucky a clear CMOS or blind flash will save your board

What you should do now, if you have not already is re-flash with Qflash as outlined in the guide linked above, that would fix any issues that you think @BIOS may have caused

Comment

Working...
        X