Core i7 920 Core Disabling Performance Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core i7 920 Core Disabling Performance Analysis

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "Core i7 920 Core Disabling Performance Analysis"

Re: Core i7 920 Core Disabling Performance Analysis

This review is fundamentally flawed, whoever wrote it obviously has little to no knowledge of testing.

Graphic-intense games, which he was using as benchmarks, rely nowadays almost entirely on the GPU. If you put a e8300 in there, most of the games would function very similarly, albeit losing a couple frames max.

For example, in the "World In Conflict (Very High)" test. First, in the canned summary you stated that the game places "plenty of stress on even the latest graphics cards". Notice that the CPU was not mentioned, it has little relevance. Then comes the part that anyone who knows anything must have been up in arms about. In the high-res test, the fps jumps from 14 on one core to 25 on two cores and then gets stuck at 31 for three or four cores. This is what us IT people call "evidence of a bottleneck". At this point, it is obvious that the GPU is preventing the game from reaching over 31 fps, or three or four cores would have had a much higher fps. Testing of the CPU is throttled by the fact that the test relies on the GPU, and the GPU can only go so far.

Again, the idea of testing a CPU by throwing GPU-tests at it is ridiculous.

I'm surprised that this review got past the usually reliable TT editors.

Comment

Um there seems to be an issue with the scores for Crysis Warhead. Minimum and Average scores appear to be the same. No wait! I guess you listed the "Average" scores twice...

Anyhow, I couldn't help but notice that Crysis Warhead is only slightly less of a PoS than Crysis was! Not sure what Crytek Budapest is thinking, but scores of around 32-35 fps (on the latest hardware) is barely playable. Maybe when this game develops a 5:1 ratio of P2P downloads to retails sales they'll realize they need to change their tactics? ... Nah! I guess not! They'll just kill support for it and use that to justify installing "root kits" with their software.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannyone View Post
        Um there seems to be an issue with the scores for Crysis Warhead. Minimum and Average scores appear to be the same. No wait! I guess you listed the "Average" scores twice...
        Thanks for the heads up. This has now been fixed!

Comment

Working...
        X