hdd for storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hdd for storage

hello, any recommendations for a cheap and good hdd, (abt 40GB) for storage and backup purpose?

Western Digital has a reputation of making a drive that lasts nearly forever. Might be just the ticket for your needs. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I'd go either Western Digital or Seagate. :smokin:

Comment

ok. should i take 5400rpm or 7200rpm?

Comment

Get a 7200rpm drive as the speed increase of data is well worth it. :smokin:
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

but some people says 7200rpm will make your disk hot and unstable. is it true?

Comment

They do run warmer but really only IBM drives suffer due to the heat if not properly cooled but any drive won't mind having a fan blow cool air over them. :smokin:

Comment

If the HDD is just for storage, than you very likely don't need a 7200 rpm drive. Very few situations exist where a non-OS drive will used as storage is needed to be 7200.

And the price difference may be 40 gigs! 120 GB 7200 equal in price to a 160 GB 5400. So you just have to figure out what you need, and then get it. Buying a 7200 drive for mp3 storage is RETARDED.

Comment

How is it retarted. What if you want to listen to those stored MP3's. When a 7200 RPM drive costs $8 more than a 5400RPM drive of the same storage, its retarded NOT to get one

Comment

Anyway Zeradul, he said he needs a 40Gig HD, not a 120 or 160 gig HD. I recommend seagate, cos i have one and its good, but ive also heard that WD make really good ones, here are some general prices for 40GB HD's.

WD ATA100 5400RPM - $140
                    WD ATA100 7200RPM - $145

Seagate ATA100 5400RPM - $140
                    Seagate ATA100 7200RPM - $150

There you go, with the WD's there is a HUGE $5 difference, gee better get that 5400RPM for the sake of not being retarted (according to someone clearly misinformed)

Comment

Not to mention the difference in time it takes to Defrag or do a thorough Scandisk. I know I'd rather spend half the time doin' it on a 7200rpm drive than the boringly long time a 5400rpm drive takes. :smokin:

Comment

i plug a new 40GB in my PC, BIOS cannot detect it, but win2k can detect it.
                        what must i do?

Comment

If you are worried about heat, 7200RPM drives are designed to run without any sort of cooling (except IBM). If you have good airflow in your case, then you can run a 7200RPM drive without any cooling no worries, if you have no airflow, then invest in a HD cooler, they are cheap as.

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                            sentme_mail[/size]]
                            i plug a new 40GB in my PC, BIOS cannot detect it, but win2k can detect it.
                            what must i do?
                            It maybe that your BIOS doesn't recognize drives larger than 32GB and an updated BIOS flash maybe needed.
                            It could also be jumper configuration on the drives or how you have them hooked up to the IDE cable, master drive always at the end of the cable and the slave in the middle. :smokin:

Comment

the strange thing is that win2k is able to detect the HDD but not BIOS.
                              if i don't update the BIOS and continue to use the HDD with Win2k will the be any problem?

Comment

Working...
                              X