GA-7VRXP Heat issues!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-7VRXP Heat issues!!!

I purchased a Gigabyte ga-7vrxp a few weeks ago w/an AMD 2000, 512 cl2 pc2700 RAM, Thermaltake Volcano 7 w/Artic Silver 3 and immediately had heat issues upon booting, running up to 150F/65C with crash after crash. I RMAed the CPU, same thing, RMAed the mobo, same thing. Running all this in new aluminum case, heat sink spreader on the RAM, dual exhaust fans. When I set the bus to 100mhz the heat goes down significantly. Should I ditch this thing or maybe try putting a northbridge fan on it? It just has a lame heatsink...help!! I've read a couple of strings on this board with plenty of complaints but I haven't seen this one...

It maybe that the speed sensing fan on the Volcano 7 that is causing the problem. A lot of ppl I know with that HSF have cut the thermal diode from it and joined the wires together so that the fan always runs at full speed. A couple of others have turned the diode around so that it contacts the heatsink itself so that speed changes take place quicker and better. Also the temp sensor for the CPU reads the temp from the resistors under the XP's core which run hotter than the core which is not good. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

That sounds worth a try because I have noticed that the fan doesn't really run full bore most of the time, but keep in mind these are IDLE temps I'm giving here primarily...one problem, I live in TX and the room these are in can get hot due to sunlight and the AC therm being in another room...but what's strange is I haven't heard of anyone having this problem and the reseller I bought it from even went to the trouble to replicate my config and he had the same problem...even worse using a stock AMD fan...I'll try what you're saying but I have my doubts...this thing is just doesn't want to run cool...not even w/the bus speed DOWNCLOCKED to 100mhz!

Comment

You mention exhaust fans but do you have any fans sucking cold air in, preferably down low and in the front, plus does it run any cooler with the case open, also did you apply the Arctic Silver very thinly like very thin paper? (too much has the reverse effect) :?:

Comment

I do have an intake fan in the front...and I might have ended up putting too much artic silver on the thing as I've removed the fan and cpu several times...but this has happened now with in 3 different scenarios, twice to me and once to the reseller I bought the *%$@ thing from, so you would think this would happen to anyone. I've had this thing crash on me with the bus down to 100mhz and the case wide open...:snip:

Comment

One thing you could try if ya game is to go into the BIOS and increase the core voltage to 5% over stock as see if that helps if ya game enough but that's what my 1800+ is at while running at 2100+ though I'm using a Volcano 7+. :smokin:

Comment

Nothing seems to work...I think I'll return this pos. Any suggestions on a replacement with no known heat issues???

Comment

Depending on what features ya want I'd recommend either the EPoX 8K3A or 8K3A+. :smokin:

Comment

Hmmm...based on the fact that it doesn't have any kind of cooling on the northbridge makes me nervous....

Comment

A lot of motherboards with the KT333 chipset don't have fans on the northbridge as heat for this chip isn't an issue.
                    Heres a link for changing the position of the thermal sensor on the HSF. http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/a...ano7Tip_1.html

Comment

What kind of temps do you get?

Comment

My temp (Idle) was 59 C.

After moving my IDE cables a bit, it went down to 57C. The outdoor temperature is about 20C.

Comment

I'm getting 46c under full load (42c idle with the Volcano 7+ on medium fan speed) with the room temp at 22c though until I get a CompuNurse and check I think that temp is inflated due to the temp being read off the resistors under the core which do run hot. :smokin:

Comment

After reading the message from GeeLuv I would like to point out that I have had no problems with this motherboard regaurding stability or overheating. My system is a very similar spec
                            Gigabyte GA7-VRXP Board
                            2000xp processor
                            256mb PC2700 RAM
                            ATI radeon 8500
                            COOLER MASTER heatsink and fan (This may be a better fan for you) Model No.DP5-6J31C-01

I would like to say that the CPU runs between 49 - 53 degrees
                            I have only experienced one problem and that is installing a Creative Audigy sound card, the onboard sound only supports 2 speakers and is not very powerful I have disabled the onboard sound updated the bois and drivers however still it will not recognise that a PCI sound blaster card is connected. I'm sure that there is someone out there with the answer to this, hopefully they will contact me. I beleive that this problem is not restricted to the Gigabyte board but is a compatability issue with the Adigy card and the VIA chipsets

Comment

GeeLuv,

I have an obvious question 4 U...

Have you checked that the HSF is not mounted backwards?
                              The spring clip used is not symmetrical.
                              If it has been mounted backwards, only one edge of the chip will be in full contact with the HSF.

Comment

Working...
                              X