DVD Burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Burning

This may have been brought up before, but what the heck! I have a Yamaha CD burner that came with Nero that works Wonderful! I even downloaded the newer version of Nero and think that the sofware is a great burner software. I can copy a CD to CD, or compile a multisession CD, etc etc.

Big question I have is this..... Is there sofware out there similar to Nero that lets you burn a DVD from a DVD drive to a DVD burner as in making an exact duplicate? DVD burners are kind of expensive, but I was just wondering if that is possible. I have some DVD movies we own, and 2 of our 3 computers have DVD drives in them along with a DVD machine hooked to the TV. I want to archive the DVDs 1.. so if my 8 year old daughter accidently steps on one or scratches it, all is not lost. 2. I would be nice to have a spare, in case one family member is halfway through a movie, and it's the same one you want to watch.

Inquiriing minds want to know . *S*

Officially, no. It can't be done due to the copy protection that is placed on DVD discs (assuming they are region - encoded movies).

Unofficially, there are some little things that can be done to possibly copy a DVD, but there's no guarantee that it will work once you figure it all out...

Comment

Nero supports DVD recording but I'm not sure if it will copy a protected disc

Comment

CSS is the name of the protection on all DVDs and region encoding is another.

Both are easily bypassed.

Macrovision is another protection, but all it does is protect the output of the video stream from the dvd. (preventing say, playing a dvd on a multi-monitor setup (or multi-tv).
        Many dvd-ripping (if not all) include options to disable macrovision during the rip process.

Comment

Region coding is fairly easy to bypass, yeah.. but it still takes a little bit of effort to actually burn a DVD that has CSS encoding...

Comment

Its easier to get rid of CSS than it is to get an RPC-1 firmware for your dvd-rom.

CSS is there to prevent the data from getting from DVD->HDD. That is all. The code for CSS was cracked extremly quickly, and wasnt really that tough a protection. deCSS is the name of the program that does it, and the DVD industry peeps had egg on their face because of the simplicity of the 'protection'. No doubt youve heard about the people who were under attack for selling T-Shirts with the deCSS code printed on it?
            Freedom of speech got them out of hot water last I heard, but its now illegal for any american based server to host the deCSS code/program.
            These people had a noble goal, remember that- they didnt just do it to be destructive/ignorant/whatever. (except maybe the ppl who made the t-shirts :)
            They did it so they could play DVDs on their Linux boxes.

Region Encoding is a hardware/Firmware level protection to prevent DVDs from another region being played in your DVD-player. Example- Australia is Region 4. Region encoding is to prevent an Australian person from ordering a DVD from the states (Region 1) and playing it in their DVD-ROM. This is to maximise sales in each country, as the industry releases DVDs at different time in different countries. However, this also prevents users who would like to buy DVDs not availble in their country.
            Nowadays, all DVD-Roms are sold RPC-2, which means Region-Locked. You can however, change your region 5 times before it locks to the last region you choose. Various sites are out there that offer RPC-1 (Region-all (or free) firmwares for popular brand DVD-Roms. The only good one I have/can remember off the top of my head have adult matieral banners and/or popups so I wont post any links.

Anyway, programs such as SmartRipper include deCSS code and demacrovision code as well. I use it to rip my DVDs to VOBs and then go from there.

http://www.doom9.org
            start here for DVD backing-up.

Comment

I emailed Nero at www.ahead.de and ask about DVD copying and got this reply.."Dear Vernon,

thank you very much for your e-mail.

I am sorry but you can't copy DVD's with nero. You can "rip" the DVD with
              another software and then burn it as SVCD on a DVD that you can view on your
              DVD player."

So it appears that to copy a DVD movie from one DVD onto a blank DVD that one needs a ripper to convert it into SVCD first then burn it to the DVD.. I think this is correct.

Anyone know of some good rippers of DVD??

I am intrigued by ealier comment on Macrovision and the other protection to keep from DVD -> HDD. How is this done? There are times that I just don't have the time to watch a movie I've rented, and would love to save it to my HD to watch later, then erase it. Can't see cluttering my HD with tons of movies.. just would like the chance to get to see the movie before I have to take it back.. You don't know how many movies I've taken back that we never got to watch because something came up and it got too late to watch.

Thanks!!

Comment

By the way.. where would I find "SmartRipper"?? *S*

later guys!

Comment

http://www.doom9.org

has all your ripping tool/info.

That email from Nero is simply telling you you cant copy the DVD with its program because of the protection DVDs have (CSS)
                  (and because Nero is a reputable program for the masses, it cant afford to include the naughty code without repercussions from the movie giants)

SVCD is a low quality conversion format (unless you use right settings/know what youre doing), and is suitable for copying DVD discs to ordinary 700meg cds you can buy at KMart. The same as Divx movies, but VCD/SVCD can be played in set-top DVD players. (home-theatre style, external of a PC setup)

Blank DVDs these days cost a mere few buks less than the actual DVD. You are better off saving yourself an hour or two of ripping/converting, then another hour or 2 burning/preparing/triple checking that the rip worked.

In other words- go buy another copy of the DVD. :)

If you want to go ahead with it, Doom9.org will give you guides on how to rip and convert the DVD.
                  If you wanna make a copy, just burn the ripped VOBs etc back to a blank DVD.

Comment

Macrovision has been around since, well, pirating. Their sole goal is to prevent the copying of copyrighted works. It never works however, their 'protection' is usually cracked within weeks, yet the big-name industry giants still bother to pay them millions of dollars to use their easily bypassed/cracked protection schemes. Idiots.

Anyway, my first introduction to macrovision was VHS tape days. I hired a movie (Predator to be exact) and wanted to make a copy. So I setup my little twin-VCR and was set to record. The output copy had garbled vid/audio and wouldnt work. That was our good friend Macrovision kicking in and preventing the 2nd output from being displayed. Nasty stuff.

Same principal still applies nowadays with DVDs. Macrovision prevents the vid/audio stream from being recorded/displayed more than once. Pretty much all my DVDs have it, and its quite annoying too. My video card has TV-OUT, so I can output to both monitor & TV at the same time. Of course, Macrovision will disable the output to one of them, (my TV) therefore defeating the purpose of watching the DVD on my TV from my PC.

Getting around this is easy, and takes about 15mins. Using SmartRipper, I rip the DVD to my HDD and just use ZoomPlayer to watch the ripped content. But this isnt efficient- the ripped content can and often does go over the 4gig mark. So 4+gig of HDD space is needed to store a single DVD movie.
                    This is where compression steps in. I personally use Divx as I dont have a set-top DVD player, and if I did, I wouldnt be bothering watching DVDs on my computer. :)

VCD (Video CD) and SVCD (Super Video CD) are other formats that set-top boxes can read as well as DVD discs. imo- the format is crap, and only applies to people who have the set-top box and not a PC. (which doesnt make sence, cause you need a PC to create a VCD...but this is where your uncle or the guy next door or your fav P2P network comes into play and gives you vcds) Divx is the other way around. (high-quality, PC/XBOX ( :D ) only supported playback)

Both are complicated procedures, you should read-up on it more at Doom9.org before even imagining about thinking about attempting a vcd/divx rip.

CSS is very basic encryption. It simply encrypts the data. deCSS simply decrypts the encrypted data and saves it instead of playing it. Easy-Peesy. All DVDs have it.

Comment

Pretty nifty!!!
                      Downloaded a program called DeCss 1.2 by MoRE not saying where., but after renaming a certain dll file, I got the program running and in the process now of decripting "Unbreakable" from DVD drive to my hard drive folder "Unbreakable". Not that I need to, as I own the movie..but I don't overclock either because I need to... because I can. *S*

Thanks Wiggo!

Oh, and found some more goodies around as well. It might be inetersting to find out if I can copy the folder I just "created" to a DVD ROM with a DVD burner?? Hmmmm.. Possible??

Anyays, you guys are great and I sincerly thank you very much!!! I'm sending this on the other computer while "compiling/decompiling code".. ie descrambling on my other computer.. I have a computer I built with Athlon 1700+ OC to 1.700 GHz with 512 DDr ram on an KR7A-133 Mohterboard..refurbished from www.newegg.com, with the 40 GB ATA 133 Maxtor HD. etc etc.

This computer has my old Abit KT7A ver 1.3 motherboard with 256 MB RAM and a 30 GB HD..it's my spare.. *S*

Thanks guys,, again!!!

Comment

riphelp.com has some good info too

Comment

Now, new delights bring new questions. *S*

I copied the movie "Unbreakable" to a folder in my hard drive called "Unbreakable", however, when I play the movie from 'WinDVD' it plays both english and other subtitles, and sort of causes a pletora of mixed bags that don't harmoniously play nice with each other. Are there only certain files that I need to "de-crypt" to go to that folder? It seems like it is there in it's entirety, but the confusion is knowing what file does what.

Comment

WinDVD is probably not the best program to be using and might be causing the errors. Might.

I trust you used SmartRipper?
                            If so, you need to rip only 1 stream of audio, not all of them.

To do this- put the DVD in your DVD-ROM and open SmartRipper.
                            Let it detect the files and work its magic and you will have a screen waiting for you to fiddle with.
                            Up in the top left portion of the program are three buttons- Movie, File, Backup.
                            For now we will use 'Movie' cause we only want certain parts of the movie.

Now, under the title->angle->chain heading, select the video stream that matches the movie. The simplest way is to find the only stream that matches the length of the movie. (look on the back of your dvd box to see movie length)
                            Smartripper is pretty,well, smart and should of selected it by default, but just in case it doesnt, thats how you get the right video stream.
                            Now click the 'Stream Processing' tab at the top of the window and you will now be presented with both the video stream and ALL audio streams on the DVD.
                            Make sure the video one is selected, and then select an audio stream. Most cases the audio stream will be named. (eg- Audio Stream - Russian) so its easy to pick the audio stream you want. However, sometimes they arent. If you have multiple audio streams of the same length, then simply open your DVD playback software and play from the disc. Use the features of your dvd player to select a language. The list it shows SHOULD match the layout displayed in Smartripper. eg: powerdvd displays these avail languages for martix:
                            1. English
                            2. German
                            3. French

In smartripper, the first audio stream listed will be english, second be german etc....

ok, next you select a subtitle. Or dont. Its entirely up to you. Optional step this one is.

Now for the final step- select the output directory, click start, and wait a few mins for the rip to complete. Use powerdvd or Zoomplayer (avail at doom9.org) to playback the VOBs.
                            (in powerdvd you gotta go into filemode, then add all the vobs to a playlist)

Comment

Bahamut Zer0 yep.. you're right.. WinDVD is not a good choice. My daughter has PowerDVD on her computer so I put it on mine and things are starting to flow right. I understand youre last post.. believe it or not! LOL

I used a program called de-CSS that did the ripping for me. Cute little program.. not long at all.. but I understand it is not really on the up and up as in legal? Some sort of gripe with the Motion Picture industry I guess. Anyway, If I own a DVD and want to put it on my Hard Drive to watch it, that should be up to me. I guess the CSS (Content Scrambling System) was out only for a very short time before someone figured a work around. *S*

I understand Macrovision will let you output to only one device at a time. I thought I could copy "Unbreakable" from DVD to my VCR as they are hooked together. Nope. Plays fine through the VCR, but the instant you push "record" everything goes haywire!

Now if I could only figure out a way to trick my RCA Sattelite receiver into thinking my computer was the place to send the store movies it has in it, that would be cool. Right now it stores the movie choices until I connect it to the phone line, then it dumps it via phone line, to where they put them on my bill.. Must have a good memory in there, because even if you turn it off and unplug the power for extended period, the movies are still hanging around in there.

Thanks for your advice and pointers, Bahamut Zer0 I'm sure it helped others beside me that read that post!

Comment

Working...
                              X