Harddisk Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harddisk Size

I've just installed a new Maxtor 40 GB harddisk.
    After Formatting the disk it seems smaller than 40GB. Partitionmagic Pro states it's actually 38.123.456 bytes or something. Windows also reports the disk to be only 38,1 GB. Where did I lose 2 GB of diskspace?

:?:

Hard drive manufacturers use what's called a metric size, meaning 1000MB = 1GB, which is in fact wrong as 1024MB = 1GB which is where the so called space is wasted. Boot sectors and partitions also cut down on usable space. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Nno problem zzilver, you got what you paid for. But I think it's really amazing that in all these years the HDD industry hasn't figured out what a gigabyte is:?:

I guess the disc industry is a long way from where they make calculators:laugh:
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

It's amazing that the damn things work, considering the "Horseshies and Hangernades Math they use to figure the size out,"......... of coarse, I guess I'm not surprised when I realize "It takes a freezer and a hammer, to work on them."

O well, its a good thing we love to build rigs so much. :laugh:

Comment

THX

I suspected it was something simple. I am just glad I didn't format and install my disk for a second time.

It's a weird computer world out there.

The words: bits and bytes probably refer to the way big computer companies treat the (unexperienced) consumer.

They almost had me

Comment

I'm sure somewhere on the manufacturer's site there is a disclaimer;

something to the effect of
            Just because we say it's a certain size, doesn't mean that the OS will show it as being that size, cause the producer of the OS uses a "standard definition" of the wholly cryptic term "Gigabyte".
            Please disregard any discrepancy you may find, as our lies as to the actual capacity of our drives are qualified as entirely legal due to this lame-ass disclaimer.
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

U got it pretty close..........I did see acouple disclaimers. Yr not a c;oset lawyer too....

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                zzilver[/size]]
                THX

I suspected it was something simple. I am just glad I didn't format and install my disk for a second time.

It's a weird computer world out there.

The words: bits and bytes probably refer to the way big computer companies treat the (unexperienced) consumer.

They almost had me

Bits and bytes? Are ya sure ya want me to explain those ones too? :D

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo

Bits and bytes? Are ya sure ya want me to explain those ones too? :D
                  Well actually.........

Let me see, one byte is 8 bit. : party ha

But don't ask me about 16 or 32 bit colors, or the difference between a Sega 8 bit or 16 bit.
                  Sure bigger numbers, means more. It's the same thing with cars. :thumb:

Do I really want to know this?

Comment

I think that you could live without it. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Dlab
                      U got it pretty close..........I did see acouple disclaimers. Yr not a c;oset lawyer too....
                      No
                      Just a very wary consumer that posesses little trust. And what little I have is fading fast.

Comment

Sounds like much experance, there............ Ditto :cheers:

Comment

Yeah, the hijinks of corporate America are reaching everyone. Hec, in some cases they are even 1-upping the government when it comes to silly sh1te.:confused:

I'm one of those consumers that tries to "vote" with my wallet, but sometimes that just turns into a good way to save money:laugh:

Comment

Those americanos, they will

SELL SELL SELL :scream:

anything.

They even made half the world believe that Britney Spears can actually sing. I do understand why people like her video clips
                            What I don't understand is what they like without the looks. I mean when you hear her on the radio :cry:

And there is worse too come. PINK
                            You know her? I AAMMM Comming out and you beter....... :shoot3: :shoot2: :thumbs do

Sorry, this is a hardware forum I know...:rolleyes2

Comment

Working...
                            X