Help with Abit BL7-RAID OC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Abit BL7-RAID OC

I read that this is a great OC board, however, I am not able to bring the FSB speed beyond 105 MHz. At 110 MHz, onboard audio stopped working. @above 120Mhz, computer won't boot at all.

Has anyone had that problem?

Thanks

There could be several factors causing this though a P4 mobo that only uses SDRAM is not a good base to start with as that type of memory would be strangling the CPU anyway. You have a CPU that uses a 400MHz data FSB and the memory supported by that board is only 133MHz so under any circumstances both the memory and chipset arn't going to be of much help for overclocking, a bit like sticking a V8 performance engine in a car designed for a small economical 4 cyclinder engine and that is that it won't take the strain. Other contributing factors can be the CPU itself, the quality of the memory, how aggressive the memory timings are set, CPU cooling plus many other things.
    Abit do make great overclocking boards but in this case it's probably the Intel chipset itself that is the problem.
    I'm sorry if this isn't what you won't to hear but it is the plain facts. Another motherboard using DDR SDRAM or RAMBUS memory would give you a huge performance increase before you even think about overclocking it. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I totally realize the limitation I am facing here. I actually just got this board because I was under tight budget, and I already have lots of SDRAM.
      I did find this on www.overclockers.com's CPU database though:

L129B085 2100 1.80 SL5UK Malaysia 29 Abit BL7 Raid
      Stock Intel Heatsink and Fan. Absolutely stable at 2100Mhz (117 FSB)Boots at 2160 but not stable w/stk heatsink.

now that's with a 256K 1.8 processor, and I have a northwood 1.8A CPU.

The memory I am using is Micron ECC PC133 256MB DIMM.

It just seems odd to me that audio device got affected while everything was working just fine @ 120 MHz FSB. I mean why audio?????

I am still fairly new at OC, and still have lots to learn, but how do I check memory timing?

Comment

If your using the audio supplied by the chipset onboard then that is probably why and a reasonable quality soundcard would help improve that.
        Intel have never liked overclocking or overclockers really, though ocassionally they will put out a good CPU that will, but usually that has to be used in a non Intel board though some motherboard manufacturers can get around some of the limitations that Intel like to put in their chipsets.
        Memory timings are taken care of in the BIOS and the manual that comes with the board should help you out with them. :smokin:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Hey I have the BL-7 without the raid, and I have the same problem. My sound card is a Creative Audigy DE. As soon as I up the FSB the sound card isnt recognised.
          :confused:

If anyone has info on this please let me know.

Brian

Abit BL7 Mobo
          P4 1.7gig
          512 meg ram pc133
          Leadtek GF3 Ti200
          Creative Sound Blaster Audigy DE
          Liteon 40x OC'd 48/12/48
          And Blah blah

Comment

Did you try to lock PCI bus speed?
            I haven't tried, since I am using on-board audio.

Comment

Yes I did lock the bus speed... which holds it at 66/33... FSB speed without being stupid goes to 115, but still have occasional problems with the audigy. Hence the reason why I am currently rebuilding my pc... lol

Comment

Working...
              X