Question regarding case cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding case cooling

Probably a dumb question but... Why do people cut holes in the sides of their case for cooling? Couldn't you just pull off the side panels? What am I missing here?:-)

When you pull off the side panels of the case, you're just creating a large, gaping hole. There is no direction to the airflow, so while the abundance of air coming into the case might help a bit, it isn't effective cooling.

When you start adding blow-holes into the case, you are forcing air to be brought into the case from a specific point. If you research the way that air travels, then you can put these blow-holes in places that get rid of dead spots... or places in your case where the air just sits there roasting whatever happens to be close. If done properly, it makes for more effective cooling overall.

Another popular trick is to put a blow-hole in the side of the case where the video card is. This forces fresh, cool air directly onto this hot component, but to be really effective you need to have enough fans blowing air OUT of the case as well. Otherwise the air will just drift into these dead spots and again roast whatever happens to be close to it.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Not to mention, that without sides, many unintended objects could get into your case, and cause a multitude of problems.

Comment

I just added two 80 mm fans to my case (side panel) and wow...got my self a 20 degree differnce!...it works dude...really does.:thumb:
        - Damien

Comment

Wow. Do you know if Antec sell sidepanels with fans seperate from new cases? They show some on their website, but I can't find anywhere to buy them.

Comment

I modded my side panel...but newegg.com sells side panels for those "alienware" type antec cases. They go for 15-20 bucks...depends if you want plexiglass or normal with one fan hole...etc...You should mod yours..its fun to do it too...: peace2:
            - Damien

Comment

Yeah, I think I will:-) Thanks.

Comment

We may wind up with a couple of cases here in the coming Case Gallery. Maybe lights and bus bays could be next? :?:
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Remeber YoHHaN take your time dude...and if you are in the USA look at newegg's YS TECH case fan they are 6 (US) bucks and are 3700 RPM.. : peace2:
                  - Damien

Comment

Will do. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X