IE is starting to **** me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE is starting to **** me...

ok here's the problem...say if i have two Internet Explorer windows open and i load a page in the 2nd window then switch back to read something in window 1, when the page in the 2nd window has finished loading it automatically puts itself back on top (giving it focus), making me click back on the 1st window everytime...it might not sound like much but whenever im on the net ive always got more than 1 window open and surfing a few sites at once so this really does start to **** you...any idea's on why all of a sudden it may have started doin it? it never has before..

tah :cheers:
    At the request of wiggo ;)

Have ya use the IE repair tool? :?:

Comment

the wha?

Comment

IE Repair Utility

If you go to the Control Panel -- Add Remove Programs, then select Internet Explorer from the list of installed apps, then click the Remove button, you will get a dialouge box.

One of the available options should be Repair Internet Explorer.
        Using that option should bring IE back up to snuff. It's this utility that makes it a good idea to keep the install files for IE on your system. If you don't have them you will be forced to DL them again (still using the rapair utility though).

It's not uncommon to have to use the repair utility twice to fix a buggy installation, I have had to do it twice on several occasions, so I plan on it when I start the process. If once does the trick I just consider it a gift from Bill:laugh:

I suspect though that the pages you are viewing have a command in the onload line of the HTML that brings them to the top automatically. It is also possible that the ads being imported to the page have the offending on-top function.
        If it is the ads, then you can use the time-tested method of adding the domains for the ads to the Restricted Sites list found in your Internet Options, under the Security tab.

If it's the sites actually doing the on-load thingy, you are most likely stuck with it, unless you use the drastic measure of disabling javascripting.
        Disabling the javascripting can initially seem like a good idea at times, but so many sites use it for functionality that not having it enabled can lead to navigation pains, and some sites features are actually rendered unusable.

If anyone knows a setting in the Internet Options that can disable only an on-top command, I'm all ears and anxious to learn:?: That would be a most-welcome-tweak award winner for sure:thumb:
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Yeah I've got a few advertising cookies locked out as they sometimes have the on-top command. Look I don't mind adds at all but I do find that it's getting rather annoying with some of the things that they're coming up with now to get your attention and what makes it worse is that most of the time there US sites which does me no good.

Now that I got that off my chest ......
          :cheers:

Comment

Testify brother, testify!
            Can I get an Amen!
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

My solution to this is using the two side buttons on my MS Optical mouse for 'Close' and 'Minimize' I close most pop-ups before they are even half loaded.

Not to mention the tremendous benefit of these buttons in regular computer use. I NEVER have to reach for the X in the upper right of any screen. NOR the minimize button next to it. Try it, you'll be amazed.

Comment

I thought I was through buying mice, but with a testimonial like that, I am definitely interested in having those 2 buttons:geek:

Comment

Pop-ups arn't a prob with a pop-up killer but with several IE windows open and one of the behind windows gets an "on top" command add in it is frustratin'. :smokin:

Comment

With the dial-up pop-ups aren't a real problem and the onload commands are pretty well whooped for ads at least by the restricted sites list.
                    I was just thinking that I wouldn't have to move my arm so much.

Oh Lord.......I'm starting to sound like Beefy:eek:

Comment

Now that is a scary thought. :eek:

Comment

Comment

Ill try that Repair Utility, tah...

btw, this happens on _any_ site...and their not popups either...neways, tah guys, ill give the Repair Util a go...

Comment

I don't remember where i saw it or what version of IE or Windows it was in. But i remember seeing an option somewhere about preventing an app from stealing focus.

Comment

Pop-ups arn't a prob with a pop-up killer
                              d
                              Unless your bank's interface is set up to use a 'pop-up' in some part of its process to let you access your account. Does pop-up killer have an option to 'ignore pop-ups from whatever.com domain' yet ?

Comment

Working...
                              X