PDA

View Full Version : IE is starting to **** me...

Grim Reaper
06-23-2002, 10:46 AM
ok here's the problem...say if i have two Internet Explorer windows open and i load a page in the 2nd window then switch back to read something in window 1, when the page in the 2nd window has finished loading it automatically puts itself back on top (giving it focus), making me click back on the 1st window everytime...it might not sound like much but whenever im on the net ive always got more than 1 window open and surfing a few sites at once so this really does start to **** you...any idea's on why all of a sudden it may have started doin it? it never has before..

tah :cheers:

Wiggo
06-23-2002, 11:44 AM
Have ya use the IE repair tool? :?:
:beer: :beer: :beer:

Grim Reaper
06-23-2002, 06:51 PM
the wha?

Mr. C
06-23-2002, 10:11 PM
IE Repair Utility

If you go to the Control Panel -- Add Remove Programs, then select Internet Explorer from the list of installed apps, then click the Remove button, you will get a dialouge box.

One of the available options should be Repair Internet Explorer.
Using that option should bring IE back up to snuff. It's this utility that makes it a good idea to keep the install files for IE on your system. If you don't have them you will be forced to DL them again (still using the rapair utility though).

It's not uncommon to have to use the repair utility twice to fix a buggy installation, I have had to do it twice on several occasions, so I plan on it when I start the process. If once does the trick I just consider it a gift from Bill:laugh:

I suspect though that the pages you are viewing have a command in the onload line of the HTML that brings them to the top automatically. It is also possible that the ads being imported to the page have the offending on-top function.
If it is the ads, then you can use the time-tested method of adding the domains for the ads to the Restricted Sites list found in your Internet Options, under the Security tab.

If it's the sites actually doing the on-load thingy, you are most likely stuck with it, unless you use the drastic measure of disabling javascripting.
Disabling the javascripting can initially seem like a good idea at times, but so many sites use it for functionality that not having it enabled can lead to navigation pains, and some sites features are actually rendered unusable.

If anyone knows a setting in the Internet Options that can disable only an on-top command, I'm all ears and anxious to learn:?: That would be a most-welcome-tweak award winner for sure:thumb:

Wiggo
06-24-2002, 08:04 AM
Yeah I've got a few advertising cookies locked out as they sometimes have the on-top command. Look I don't mind adds at all but I do find that it's getting rather annoying with some of the things that they're coming up with now to get your attention and what makes it worse is that most of the time there US sites which does me no good. :angryfire

Now that I got that off my chest ...... :beer:
:cheers:

Mr. C
06-24-2002, 08:25 AM
Testify brother, testify!
Can I get an Amen!

zeradul
06-25-2002, 03:25 AM
My solution to this is using the two side buttons on my MS Optical mouse for 'Close' and 'Minimize' I close most pop-ups before they are even half loaded.

Not to mention the tremendous benefit of these buttons in regular computer use. I NEVER have to reach for the X in the upper right of any screen. NOR the minimize button next to it. Try it, you'll be amazed.

Mr. C
06-25-2002, 12:05 PM
I thought I was through buying mice, but with a testimonial like that, I am definitely interested in having those 2 buttons:geek:

Wiggo
06-25-2002, 12:22 PM
Pop-ups arn't a prob with a pop-up killer but with several IE windows open and one of the behind windows gets an "on top" command add in it is frustratin'. :smokin:
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Mr. C
06-25-2002, 12:36 PM
With the dial-up pop-ups aren't a real problem and the onload commands are pretty well whooped for ads at least by the restricted sites list.
I was just thinking that I wouldn't have to move my arm so much.

Oh Lord.......I'm starting to sound like Beefy:eek:

Wiggo
06-25-2002, 12:44 PM
Now that is a scary thought. :eek:

Beefy
06-25-2002, 02:12 PM
:hmph:

Grim Reaper
06-25-2002, 03:52 PM
Ill try that Repair Utility, tah...

btw, this happens on _any_ site...and their not popups either...neways, tah guys, ill give the Repair Util a go...

DigitalDD
06-25-2002, 07:29 PM
I don't remember where i saw it or what version of IE or Windows it was in. But i remember seeing an option somewhere about preventing an app from stealing focus.

zeradul
06-25-2002, 09:00 PM
Pop-ups arn't a prob with a pop-up killerd
Unless your bank's interface is set up to use a 'pop-up' in some part of its process to let you access your account. Does pop-up killer have an option to 'ignore pop-ups from whatever.com domain' yet ?

Wiggo
06-25-2002, 09:25 PM
The pop-up killer that I use, POW! (http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/pow.htm), you have to add the offending pop-ups to. So pop-up's are allowed till it's added to the list to be killed. :smokin:
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

zeradul
06-27-2002, 11:50 PM
I should have known, AnalogX has a solution to everything. That guy is exceedingly brilliant.

Splash
06-29-2002, 12:50 PM
Ok here's my 2 cents

Grim - your problem is the stealing of focus of the new window in IE right?
Well i have just started experiencing the same problem.

I put it down to Win XP
Was running w2k with update to IE6 for a while - not problems
Recent upgrade to XP with IE6 built in.
I now have the 2nd window steal the focus all the time.
Maybe it's a design "benefit" of the new OS?
I Dunno
Do you run XP? Have you only recently changed?

Unfortunately this isn't a solution but may be the cause of the problem.
What do you reckon?
Cheers,

Grim Reaper
06-29-2002, 01:36 PM
yeah im runnin XP...but the thing is it never used to do it but all of a sudden has started...very strange...btw, the IE fix thing didn't work because i couldn't even find IE in the add/remove...

ill keep lookin for a solution and if i find anything ill post it here...

Mr. C
06-29-2002, 10:14 PM
Sorry, I was truly hoping the fix would work:(
I've never used XP (and am solemnly sworn to never install a copy) but I was hoping it might work the same.

I'll keep my nose to the grindstone, if I ever stumble across a reg-hack or something, I'll let you know promptly:geek:

Wiggo
06-30-2002, 06:04 AM
When I get and XP PC free I'll have a look but all IE's from 5.1 onwards has the option though on SE I use it thru System Information under tools. :smokin:

zeradul
06-30-2002, 10:58 AM
I thought I was through buying mice, but with a testimonial like that, I am definitely interested in having those 2 buttons:geek:
Yea, I am telling you, it is a heavenly setup, especially if you are stuck in old-school mode and like your windows to open in their own windows. It kicks the crap out of the default setting, "Back" and "Forward". Blah, who ever uses "forward" and back is as simple as a right click on any web page. Duh.

Try it Mr. C, I think I know you well enough that I can guarantee you'll like it. The only people who don't love it are those 'rambunctious' computer users who accidentally hit buttons as they reach for their mice.

Mr. C
06-30-2002, 01:05 PM
Sounds good to me!
I handle my mice with the utmost in gentleness and respect:p

Grim Reaper
06-30-2002, 06:35 PM
I think its fixed!!

I installed TweakUI and re-applyed the option (even tho it was already selected) about programs stealing focus. It hasn't done it yet but ill report back if it does...

Edit: nope, not fixed :(:cry:

Mr. C
06-30-2002, 09:11 PM
Death to focus-stealing tyrants!

FaithSmiles
07-17-2002, 11:23 PM
Okay anyhow, the thing with xp is that for some reason the operating system is built with an autorepair feature. Basically, anything you try to do to change the original configs is undone immediately after you change it.

I know someone who has XP and had to go through stuff similar to this...I wonder if you can just go to microsoftupdate and see if there are any fixes for your XP IE. There is an alternative site for windows updates http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/downloadoftheday/story/0,24330,3391020,00.html . It is called bigfix. You install it and then it allows you to update without messing with microsoft.

Another thing you have to be careful about XP is that if you change too much of your hardware- you'll get locked out of your computer cuz it won't recognize your system. Then you have to put in this really loooong number to unlock it.

Microsoft :hammer:

When you first install XP it takes a screenshot of your computer system and sends it to microsoft - that's how the registration is done.