a new PSU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a new PSU?

i have been pondering for months about whether or not to get a new PSU....rite now i have a generic 300W running a steaming c/c athlon box...and in my o/c endeavours i have noticed something quite strange....i've hit a brock wall withy my cpu o/c and this is the result of it....

1.my cpu is stuck at 1.70ghz @ 148fsb...
    2. i don;t think the cpu is the limiting factor as i can lower vcore voltage and it's still stable
    3. it's not my internal modem limiting my fsb o/c..bcos i have tried taking it out with the same results..btw apart from my soundcard and modem i have no other pci cards
    4.with old xp2000 was also stuck @ 148fsb
    5.i doubt it;s the mobo as i have the latest bios and i've seen plenty of ppl hit fsb of 150+ with the same mobo
    6 it;'s not the ram as i have very good o/c crucial ram AND i have tried lowering memory settings
    7. if i set my fsb any higher i get software errors in prime95 and sisoft sandra burn in mode freezes...not the whole system
    8. i get random crashes in 3dmark after extended time of looping...usually after at least an hr or 2

this has led me to beleive that it's most likely my PSU running out of juice...or the only other possibilty is that my 2 sticks of crucial pc2100 can;t even handle 149fsb with low memory settings...this seems quite unlikely..any comments? i am considering an antec trupower dual vent 430W

Yes you may find that the PSU is limiting you as I've seen it happen before. I don't know personally about the Antec Trupower PSU's though Topower PSU's are very good and have high combined wattage on the 3.3 & 5 volt rails. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

yea thx taht's wat i thought....btw antec psu's r really good quality and cheap...u can get a 430watt dual vent. fan speed control PSU from www.zonecomputing.com.au for about 140 bucks:cheers:

Comment

Antec has been making some of the best power supplies for some time now. I have been using their PSUs for quite a few years and have never had a power related problem yet... nor have I had any shortage of power either. I use the 430w TruPower and it works quite well. :)
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

ye athat's wat i thought:D

btw Darthtanion do you by chance know how much air the exhaust fan on the trupower series psu pushes?

Comment

Sorry, but I don't have the full spec sheet from Antec anymore. They had sent me one when I was reviewing the PLUS1080 case.
            My Toys

Comment

GOOD NEWS!!!!1
              yesterday i got my antec 380Watt PSU and guess what?
              my cpu isn'y stuck at 148 fsb anymore...150 rock stable so far....it just shows that even a psu can be a limiting factor in o/c...while i don;t really expect much more out of my cpu mainly bcos of my internal modem probably won;t like fsb much above 150, it' still a nice surprise to find a bit more juics left in my system:afro:

lol i wonder if any wants to be a generic 300W psu:cheers:

Comment

doh actually i have to take that bak.....although my cpu is happy running sisoft sandra burn in mode for long periods of time it still isn;t happy in 3dmark 2001 at anything abov 148fsb...bummer....ah well i would have need that PSU soon anyway......now i'm thinking it's probably the internal modem tripping up my PCi/AGP.....oh wellies:cheers:

Comment

NIC cards and non-SoundBlaster sound cards are usually a good place to start looking when it comes to troubleshooting high FSB problems. It could be the modem to, though I haven't used one in so long that these components were never an issue with my systems. I can't speak from personal experience on this one.
                  My Toys

Comment

nah i don;t have a nic...only an internal modem....wow i thought soundcards are always the last to trip up high fsb's....so it could actually be my fortissomo 2?damn taht complicates Kthings...although of course the easy solution would be an Epox 8K3A...which like other kt333 borads has 166fsb divider....hmmmm..nah i think i'll hold off till thouroubred matures a bit and then do a big cpu/ram/mobo upgrade
                    thx for your help:cheers:

Comment

Chis why don't you try Overclock higher with out your soundcard...see what happens...just a thought.: peace2:
                      - Damien

Comment

/\ A sensible suggestion there. /\ :thumb:

Comment

yea i will...but actually i had another idea.....as stupid as it sounds i think it mite have been my drivers since the errors i am getting i;'d neva seen b4 with other drivers....btw i'm using nvida reference 29.42...which shouldn't have stability problems...but oh well back to my trusty 28.32...actually to be honest i don;t really care if it IS my soundcard anymore...cos i got my heart set in an epox 8K3A now....and also a thourebred at the same time when amd sought out their stepping issues with early t-breds...lol and probly new ram as well...*sigh* keeping up to date is expensive but oh well:cheers:

Comment

Go for it man...if having stuff up to date is what you like ...do it...:thumb:
                            - Damien

Comment

lol yea thx:D
                              i should have 512mb corsair xms3200 in about about a week and the epox 8K3A a few weeks later.....:cheers:

Comment

Working...
                              X