PDA

View Full Version : Is it true?

ReSpAwN DeMoN
06-25-2002, 06:55 AM
Is it true that if I wanted an AthlonXP 2200+ I have to first go out and buy a copper heatsink? Currently I have a Global Win WBK38 is this HSF categorized as a cheap cooler? I did spend 21 dollars on it but that was when it first came out.

zeradul
06-25-2002, 07:03 AM
It would probably work just fine. But, if your new setup starts freezing, then you know its time to invest in something better. It can't hurt to try.

You probably will start to freeze up if you O/C at all with your current HS.

FLaCo
06-25-2002, 07:31 AM
I thought the 2200+ was manufactured to use less voltage therefore producing less heat...either way a good copper HS and a good fan should be used when O/Cing ....temps do rise.: peace2:

ReSpAwN DeMoN
06-25-2002, 07:35 AM
I don't o/c the only time I ever had was I got my Athlon1.4 up to 1.6 but it crashed on me in 2 hours.....I since brought it down to 1.4 again and I'm not o/c anymore. The fan on the WBK38 if you don't know is a Delta 38 which pushes 38CFM. Not only that I have the wind tunnel plus from coolerguys.com (they don't make it anymore) so I have 2 92MM fans on the side which bring cool air in the case. I hope I could run the new processor cause I do plan on upgrading when Doom 3 comes out. If I can't run the game perfectly its time to upgrade.

FLaCo
06-25-2002, 07:39 AM
I think there would be no problem dude i as long as you don't over clock...I have my CPU as a 2200+ at 39-42 degrees C...with a volcano 7+ ...and that was only after i installed to extra side panel fans...my point is if you don't plan to O/C i don't think there will be a problem as long as you have proper case cooling and all...and correct me if i am wrong but i belive AMD did manufacture the 2200+ to use less voltage...: peace2:

Darthtanion
06-25-2002, 10:21 AM
Flaco,
While the new Thoroughbred processors do manage to run at a bit lower voltage (1.65v -vs- 1.75v), the fact that they are scaled higher will even out the temperatures. Besides, I'd imagine that an awful lot of people will be running these new toys at higher voltages to get better overclocks out of them.

ReSpAwN DeMoN,
While the WBK38 may indeed hold you for a bit, it would be wise to go ahead and invest in a newer and better cooling solution. After all, why shell out $230+ for a new processor and then have questions about spending another $30 for a decent cooler? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. :?:

FLaCo
06-25-2002, 10:37 AM
Can't argue with that Darth makes sense...and Respawn ...Darth does have a point there...about the HS&F ....:)

Wiggo
06-25-2002, 11:07 AM
AMD considers it necessary to use at least a copper base HSF for the Thoroughbreds as the core area is so small compared to earlier Athlon that copper is needed to get the heat away from the smaller core faster. :smokin:
<center>:cheers:</center>

GiMP
07-17-2002, 09:56 AM
zeradul, I've got the HSF before his, the FOP-38 and I'm runnin 1000@1400MHz at 42C idle ... nothin wrong with the series that I can see, I highly recommend them. :afro:

ReSpAwN DeMoN
07-17-2002, 10:17 AM
So you think the WBK38 shoould cool the tbred just fine? Espeically with the fact that I have the Wind Tunnel Plus? :D

zeradul
07-17-2002, 11:42 PM
Gimp, I think you missed the point of why he might need to replace it. Your Overclocked thunderbird is consuming somewhere in the range of 65-75 watts. If RD goes and gets an XP 2200+ it will produce FAR in excess of that amount of heat, and thats before he begins Overclocking.

ReSpAwN DeMoN
07-18-2002, 01:25 AM
speaking of heat........does anyone know why AMD has still decided not to put a heat spreader plate thingy on the core like the K6's or like Intel Processors? Instead of leaving the ever so fragile core on the processor? I'm yet to crack one but one I just might.......and why did they bring the capicitors on top of the processor on the tbred instead of leaving them on the bottom like the older xp's..

Wiggo
07-18-2002, 01:49 AM
All very good questions though ya'd have to ask AMD themselves for the answers. :smokin:
<center>:cheers:</center>

zeradul
07-18-2002, 05:27 AM
You are right, it is foolish for them NOT to switch. The biggest reason I believe they have is people would start commenting about 'Look how AMD is copying intel' I think that is a dumb reason.

chisholm
07-22-2002, 02:12 PM
yea....actually the main problem y so many athlon cores were crushed was bcos of newbies not doing it rite and the really tite clips like on teh FOP38 most clips on good coolers these days are much better designed...:cheers:

moebro
08-05-2002, 08:40 PM
pffft
noone had it as bad as i did
i overtightened the fan screws on one side of my now-non used PAL6045 which caused the hsf to lever off and crush the opposite, already cracked side of the core
this also managed to fry my motherboard
ah well
you live, you learn