Overclocking, Athlon and P4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking, Athlon and P4

Is there an advantage to overclocking Athlon chips since you can increase its speed by changing the multiplier as opposed to the P4 where you can't? Wouldn't that eliminate the risk of burning out other components?

When the Athlons 1st came out there were great bonuses in raising the multiplier but now those gains arn't really there so most ppl now lower the multiplier to raise the FSB even higher. A bonus of the higher FSB is that you increase the performance of the system as a whole where just using the multiplier really only increases the performance of the CPU. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

WiGGo i finally have my 2000+ running at 1.88 (150 FSB) but i had to increase the voltage from 1.75 to 1.775 is that normal (it was the only way WinXP would bootup @ 150 FSB): peace2:
      - Damien

Comment

No that's fairly normal. Some CPU's won't need the increase and some will need a little while others may need a lot more. With air cooling anything up to 1.85v for an Athlon is ok but higher than that will mean that ya may have to look into some extreme measures of cooling. The heavier os's such as 2K and XP will tend to need it more than the 9x lot as they put a greater load on the CPU as well.:smokin:

Comment

OK check this out..i overclock to 1.88 right...verything is fine i went ahed and increased the voltage 1.80 and run 3dmark2001se..everything is running smooth until i reach the nature level...it just shutdowns the program and end up at my desktop...what do you guys think that can be...?THX: peace2:
          - Damien

Comment

You may need a touch more voltage with that then but do keep an eye on your temps. You may want to look at increasing memory and/or video voltages if ya can too. :smokin:

Comment

i'll try 1.825 then if nothing i gove the max a try...1.85...Btw my temps were ranging around 39 to 40.50 at 1.80...and thx for the help WiGGo greatly appreciate your help:thumb: : peace2:
              - Damien

Comment

If you can get a program called Harware Monitor Pro, written by Andrew Brezenkin (something like that anyway) it is a great tool to use to check your temps. You may already have it, but just speaking form myself, I would not venture too high of an oc without it telling me what was happening. I know when I'm running setia@home on my Abit kR7A-133 that it shows my cpu temp at around 51 to 52 deg. C. Now while I'm in here it is running at 45.. just goes to show how much that seti@home works the CPU, huh?

Every bit of increase in core voltage will increase heat. What you might have to do is try to slow down the OC just a bit and lower the volage and it might just run cool enough to get you to do what you want.

I run at 1.775 (last check) on an Athlon XP oc'd to 1.668 GHz... Perhaps I should drop down the multiplier a bit and up the FSB, bur not sure if that will take with this Abit T400 video card (nVidia chipset)

laters...

Comment

for o/c tool i suggest motherbard monitor 5....it tells u voltages. cpu speed, cpu load temps etc....and u can have it display what u want in your toolbar as a dashboard thing so u can moniter it closely:D

Comment

Working...
                  X