No announcement yet.

AMD 1.2 T-Bird TO 1600+XP Improvement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD 1.2 T-Bird TO 1600+XP Improvement?

Hi, all i'm thinking about switching my trusty ATHLON 1.2GHz T-Brid to a newer 1600+ (1.4GHz) ATHLON XP (I can get one cheap and sell my old t-bird on ebay for about the same price)
    What I would like to know is it worth the hassle will i notice any increase in performance?

Or a decrease in system temp. (i'm running a bit hot now 56C at full load)

Depends on what you do. Stuff like e-mail, word processing, etc. I doubt it. Depending on your graphics card, you may get a little bit of a boost in gaming. Most likely you'll only be able to tell with benchmarks.

Comment

I'd be checkin' out ya case ventilation and HSF as that temp is too high (unless it's an Asus board which normally records inflated temps). A bit more detail about ya setup would helpful too as some mobo's won't work with an Athlon XP and others will need a BIOS flash to work. Also is your T'bird a 200MHz or 266MHz FSB model? :smokin:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Yep difinitely check your mobo out for compatibility with the XP processors. KT133's are obviously a no go, many (particularly earlier revision) KT133A's also won't even post with an XP in there. VIA's early revisions of the KT133A lacked the support for the Palomino core.

Comment

I have an Aurora Gigabyte 7DX Mobo on a 200MHz FSB

I've check the mother board specs and it supports up to a 1900+ XP (I have the latest bios)

Comment

As far as the temp. is concerned I have 2 case fans one for intake (Back) one for input (front) and the CPU is cooled by a ohh I forgot whta's it's called (but its a good HSF combo not a chipo one =)

I think the heat is due to the fact that it used to be somewhere around 45C when i first installed the HSF but since then i've been moving my computer around quite a bit and the HSF must have budged off the spot i'll be reinstalling the HSF soon (but i'm just to lazy right now)

Does't the ATHLON XP use less power?...hence would put out less heat?

Comment

Voltages are the same for both CPU's though the XP's disapate slightly less heat then the older version, 66watts for the 1.2GHz and 63 watts for the XP 1600+ if I remember rightly. I've just checked the specs of your board and with the latest BIOS it will support the new "Thoroughbred" 2200+ though no overclocking is supported for 266MHz FSB processors but 200MHz FSB CPU's can be overclocked to some extent. :smokin:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Speaking of....I'm running an Athlon TB 1.4GHz 266MHz FSB with the KT266A NorthBridge. Have I gotten to that point that I would not notice an improvement in anything except for benchamarks and games? I have a geforce 3 so I feel I'm not gonna notice an improvement in say quake 3 but Doom 3 I KNOW I will see something. I'm talking if I were to upgrade to say an 1800-2200.

Comment

Well, think about this RD, by the time Doom3 comes out, ponder what you will be able to get for the current cost of a XP2000... I'm betting at least an XP2400, if not XP2600.

My point is, if you won't see an improvement now, wait, because everything will be worth less in 6 -8 months.

Comment

I agree with Zeradul on that one ...whats the point if you are not going to notice a major thing...The idea behind building a new rig is to satisfy your needs and improve from what you had before. I think i made a major improvement jumping from a 933 p3 to xp2000 w/ raid etc...SoOoO have patients....yesterday i held off on buying a new 17" monitor and today my boss was throwing one out!...i grabbed that bad boy and bam new montor...: peace2:
                    - Damien

Comment

Working...
                    X