Probes and ABS II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probes and ABS II

I was suprised when i got my new motherboard which supported ABS II and checked in the bios at the temps, and in a hot room my CPU sensor was reading 40deg, and ABS II sensor (from within the core) was 65deg so in the small amount of space the tems are able to vary 25deg.
    Just thought it was intresting.

When in the BIOS your CPU is only cycling but once the os loads you maybe running programs in the background that will raise the temp. Also are you using the probe in the socket or the external probe that fits between the HSF and CPU body against the side of the core? If ya using the in socket probe then it's very likely that it's reading the temp of the resistors that are on the underside and these run hotter than the core. Though if ya using the external probe make sure that it's not lifting the HSF off the core preventing a flush fit. The readings may also be Asus like which report temps that are much higher than they really are. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I don't think you quite got what i meant, it was not so much a question or problem, more a fact or intresting observation.
      If you don't know what ABS II is, then: most/all XP chip have a thermal sensor inside them, if it reaches 85deg ABS II will cut the power to it, preventing it from melting or blowing up :flames: in my bios i am able to read both the ABS II sensor and the one sitting in the socket of my motherboard.
      So all i was doing was stating the fact that the sensor is not really a great reader of the CPU temp.

Comment

It never has been, but it's about as good as it gets without some sort of internal thermal device. Even the regular thermal probes will result in readings similar to what you get from a thermistor in the socket.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Working...
        X