Trying to decide on a x58 MB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to decide on a x58 MB?

I'm looking for feedback or Pros/Cons on 2 options.

Either:
    Gigabyte GA-ex58-UD4P
    or
    Asus P6T Deluxe V2

I know Anandtech gave the origonal P6T Delux an award but am just curious as to which board would be my best choice.

Re: Trying to decide on a x58 MB?

Well I bit the bullit and went ahead and ordered the V2 MB.

Never used an Asus board before but at least I know Anandtech gave the P6T good marks I have just ordered some yummy Dominator GT 2000 MHZ 8-8-8-24 memory from corsair to go with my I7 965 EE and I know Ramguy says the memory has been tested and works well with the P6T Deluxe.

Now just going to be chewing nails waiting for it to arrive.

Comment

See my thread for Top 10 cheapest motherboards in this same sub-forum. Am updating it as I see changes.
      Ci7 2600K @4.6Ghz/8Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600/Asus Sabertooth P67/EVGA GTX 580/Patriot Torqx 128/1 Tb WD Black
      Ci7 920/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/HIS Radeon HD 5870/750Gb Seagate ES.2, 2Tb WD Green
      And several other rigs...

Comment

Originally posted by NimrodAUS
        I wish i had endless money like you guys lol. Why not wait till they work out all the bugs with the X58 stuff. I have read too many nasty stories about bad things happening to just take the dive.
        Because the stories are FUD, Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. In other words, BS. X58 is a brutally powerful and bug free platform. Don't spread unfounded rumors based on FUD, please.
        Ci7 2600K @4.6Ghz/8Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600/Asus Sabertooth P67/EVGA GTX 580/Patriot Torqx 128/1 Tb WD Black
        Ci7 920/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/HIS Radeon HD 5870/750Gb Seagate ES.2, 2Tb WD Green

Comment

Get the P5T.

Yep it seems that most of NimrodAUS posts are either, A/ FUD or B/ a way to get his post count up which depresses me seeing as I'm an aussie to (but then again there are 1 or 2 others just like him around).

Comment

Bug Free Platform. Come on dude. Im not trying to down X58 Im only going on the FACTS that there are so so so many people on this forum that are having similar problems with different configurations. That to me that is a "bug" in the platform. Do some research. X58 is Brutally Powerful and once you get a working system no doubt. Just scary the fact that there are so many with non working systems. Ci7 will be the way. Dont get me wrong. Its like anything new, weather its cars computers tv's. You have rocks in your head if you rush out and buy it as soon as its released. Theres bound to be problems. Ill wait for Series II.
            Dude. There's no more problems with X58 then there are with P45 in general. In fact, most if not all X58 motherboards are problem free. You point me to ONE issue that is a cross motherboard bug. You use the word "bug" too loosely. A bug is a problem that is platform wide or affects all of at least an entire line of a product. There's no more bugs in X58 then there are in P45, your spreading FUD with no truth.

I can point to 10 times the number of P45 motherboard problems, of 20 times the number of P35 problems. The only problems you can point to with X58 are nothing that P35, P45, X38, and X48 have in spades as well.

Your not helping ANYBODY by spreading bullcrap.

Edit: See my PM to you on just how many X58's I've built and helped others build. There is no platform wide issues, at all, beyond just the somewhat rough cost of entry (which I've tried to help others mitigate with my Top 10 list of cheapest X58 motherboards).
            Last edited by moshpit; 03-01-2009, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Bug Free Platform.
              Okay, let's review your quoting of my statement and your lack of understanding what it meant. First off, X58's southbridge, the ICH10R, is a mature southbridge already used in X48 and P45 boards all over the place. It's stable, reliable, and well known and has seen tons of updates and fixes for it since it came out over a year ago.

The northbridge of X58, is nothing but an over-glorified PCIe hub/controller. That's it. All memory controlling is done on the CPU. And Intel's memory controllers are famously stable and fast, this one more then any previous mem controller Intel has ever launched.

The X58 is as bug free as a modern chipset can be at launch. It has a TINY errata list for a supposedly brand new chipset. Why is that list so small? Because the only new part of the chipset is so simple that there's little that can go wrong with it and the part that ISN'T new is mature, updated, and as solid as a desktop chipset southbridge can be. Period.

Comment

I Retract All Previous statments made about X58 as I am not one to know. I was only commenting on what other people have said not first hand experence. I also would like to appologise to anyone upset by my comments and my opinion. I missunderstood this to be a public forum were people had a right to an opinion. I would also like to pat the fellas on the back, that took it apon themselves to belittle me and personally attack me for my opinion. Well dont guys do you feel like big men now?? I admit that I was wrong using the word "Buggy" and should have not made comments about something I dont know about. I hope this thread can continue on without anymore flaming as Id hate to see this great forum turn to crap like so many before it because the little children cant play nice.
                Last edited by NimrodAUS; 03-01-2009, 11:18 PM.
                Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
                Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
                Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
                Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
                Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
                G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
                2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
                Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
                2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
                Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
                Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
                ------------------------------------------------
                Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
                Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
                ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
                Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
                Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
                Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
                NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
                1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
                Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Comment

Sorry Bratboy for ruining your thread.
                  Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
                  Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Comment

Originally posted by NimrodAUS View Post
                    I Retract All Previous statments made about X58 as I am not one to know. I was only commenting on what other people have said not first hand experence. I also would like to appologise to anyone upset by my comments and my opinion. I missunderstood this to be a public forum were people had a right to an opinion. I would also like to pat the fellas on the back, that took it apon themselves to belittle me and personally attack me for my opinion. Well dont guys do you feel like big men now?? I admit that I was wrong using the word "Buggy" and should have not made comments about something I dont know about. I hope this thread can continue on without anymore flaming as Id hate to see this great forum turn to crap like so many before it because the little children cant play nice.
                    Sorry if misinformation presented as fact is offensive to some of us. You wrongly advised against a purchase based on flawed information. If my offended attitude over that action caused further offense BACK to you, then I apologize for being too rough, but I stand by the fact that one should research a product before advising people whether to buy or not buy. It's not an "opinion" thing when you call perfectly good motherboards "buggy", it's a "fact" thing, as in your "facts" were less then educated on the subject at hand (not calling YOU uneducated, just your position on this point).
                    Last edited by moshpit; 03-02-2009, 09:15 AM.

Comment

[quote=moshpit;286693]Sorry if misinformation presented as fact is offensive to some of us.
                      WTF? I wasnt offended by that, just by the underlying attitude conveyed to me in your person attack.

You wrongly advised against a purchase based on flawed information.
                      Show me were I said " DONT BUY IT ITS TOTALLY ****" all i said was that I wouldnt and I think that anyone would have rocks in there head. Nothing person to anyone that has already got or is thinking of getting. And I think my little OPINION is nothing to worry about compared to all the problem (most probably user error) threads that are around on the X58, yet still concerning.
                      If my offended attitude over that action caused further offense BACK to you, then I apologize for being too rough,
                      Dont mock me.

but I stand by the fact that one should research a product before advising people whether to buy or not buy.
                      Agreed!

It's not an "opinion" thing when you call perfectly good motherboards "buggy", it's a "fact" thing,
                      Again You missunderstood me.

as in your "facts" were less then educated on the subject at hand (not calling YOU uneducated, just your position on this point)
                      Thanks. And Agreed..[/quote]

I hope we can now all put this behind us and move on with more productive adventures.
                      Last edited by NimrodAUS; 03-02-2009, 05:40 PM.
                      Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
                      Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Comment

You wrongly advised against a purchase based on flawed information.
                        Show me were I said " DONT BUY IT ITS TOTALLY ****" all i said was that I wouldnt and I think that anyone would have rocks in there head. Nothing person to anyone that has already got or is thinking of getting. And I think my little OPINION is nothing to worry about compared to all the problem (most probably user error) threads that are around on the X58, yet still concerning.
                        Show you? You mean show you the post you deleted? Can't do that. You deleted it. BUT, your not out of the woods on that one, I happened to quote the post you deleted BEFORE you deleted it. And it went something like this:

Why not wait till they work out all the bugs with the X58 stuff. I have read too many nasty stories about bad things happening to just take the dive.
                        So in context, you did indeed tell him that he was making an iffy choice when he in fact was not. And the X58 threads you talk about are MINIMAL compared to the number of threads on P45, P35, X38, X48, P43, and pretty much every chipset out there. X58 is bug free compared to them because it's so simple in comparison (no memory controller in X58 northbridge, very mature and robust southbridge). I honestly think you should keep your opinions to yourself when using them to answer purchasing questions. Your opinions don't seem founded on reality.

Comment

Originally posted by moshpit View Post
                          Show you? You mean show you the post you deleted? Can't do that. You deleted it. BUT, your not out of the woods on that one, I happened to quote the post you deleted BEFORE you deleted it. And it went something like this:

So in context, you did indeed tell him that he was making an iffy choice when he in fact was not. And the X58 threads you talk about are MINIMAL compared to the number of threads on P45, P35, X38, X48, P43, and pretty much every chipset out there. X58 is bug free compared to them because it's so simple in comparison (no memory controller in X58 northbridge, very mature and robust southbridge). I honestly think you should keep your opinions to yourself when using them to answer purchasing questions. Your opinions don't seem founded on reality.

I deleted my posts as a retraction because I was wrong. In no way was my opinion telling anyone what to do. I do not know what satisfaction you are getting out of trying to drag me through the mud mate but im just about sick off it. So case closed. You win!!
                          Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
                          Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Comment

I deleted my posts as a retraction because I was wrong. In no way was my opinion telling anyone what to do. I do not know what satisfaction you are getting out of trying to drag me through the mud mate but im just about sick off it. So case closed. You win!!
                            I'm not dragging you through the mud, "mate". I'm just responding to you. I wasn't being insulting or out of line, I was legitimately responding to your comment. And while you certainly wern't holding a gun to anybodies head, all I'm saying is that you did indeed advise against purchase, per the quote I pointed out. Okay though, I get the point that you're done with the debate. Beer always makes debates go away just fine ;)

Comment

You do realise now Im just gunna have to go and build myself an X58 System. Beer to all.
                              Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
                              Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Comment

Working...
                              X