P4 setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P4 setup

Hey my friend is asking me to put together a new comp for him and I just wanted to ask for your guy's opinion on a setup.

I was thinking of something like:
    P4 2.26ghz CPU
    Epox 4G4A motherboard
    512 MB PC2700 DDR Ram.....Nanya brand i think?
    Seagate 40gb HDD
    Leadtek GF4 Ti4200

He doesn't need to overclock and he plays some games but mainly sports games.
    Would the Asus m/b with the 845G chipset be a better bet even though it's like A$100 more?
    And also with the sound built in on the Epox board....my friend will only be using 2 crappy little speakers and doesnt really care to much for sound....will the onboard sound be adequate?

Any opinions appreciated
    :cheers:

Here is a review of that board (though it is the RAID version but that's the only difference) which is quite good. I've use EPoX boards a lot and have no probs with them plus their tweaking capabilities are right up there in the top tweakers line and that one is no different. I would suggest getting a faster memory (at least with timing if not speed) than that though as a P4B can certainly take advantage of it. For a few extra dollars a 60GB HDD as games do take up room and be sure to make it a 7200rpm one as 5400rpm ones are too slow. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Yeah I've read many good reviews of the 4g4a and thats what swayed me towards that board even if I wasnt going to overclock it. I think it got 10/10 at the TweakTown review?? I was quite impressed by that one !!
      Yeah my friend won't be needing RAID or the onboard LAN so i decided to save him a few bucks and get the standard model.

Yep will definitely get a 7200rpm drive as they arent really much more expensive.

What about the onboard sound? Seems most people won't even touch something like that.....will it be adequate for just a 2 speaker setup thats not pushed very hard?

Oh and another thing with the Ti4200......64 or 128mb?? Worth the extra money as he only seems to play soccer games.....must be world cup fever : party ha

Comment

Honestly, any Gigahertz system with a GF2 (non-MX) will be a great plenty for him. Grandma's don't need Ferraris.

Comment

Originally posted by zeradul
          Honestly, any Gigahertz system with a GF2 (non-MX) will be a great plenty for him. Grandma's don't need Ferraris.
          I like your analogy Zeradul...nice one...:thumb:
          - Damien

Comment

Hahah nice Zeradul : party ha

Well I'll just throw that system together for him then....I'm sure he'll be more that happy with that.

Thanks for the help guys. :bounce:

Comment

Working...
            X