Specs for my new comp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specs for my new comp.

Hey Hey fellas, just registered and hoping you guys can help me out a bit. Well after 2 years of waiting and playing quake3 at a horrible 55 fps I finally did it. No, I didnt convince my folks to get me a new one, I got a job and am finally able to buy a brand spanking new pc. :bounce: I need as much feedback and critique about these specs as humanly possible. BTW tell me if anything would be incompatible and things like that.

Case: ATC-201 Around $180
    Motherboard: ASUS P4T533-C Around $160
    CPU: Intel P4 2.26GHz Around $250
    Memory: 256MB 1066MHz RDRAM Around $160
    128MB 1066MHz RDRAM Around $85
    Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce 4 Ti 4600 Around $300
    Sound Card: SB Live! Platinum Around $75
    Speakers: Logitech Z560 Around $140
    Hard Drive: WD 80.0GB EIDE Ultra
    ATA/100 7200RPM 8mb cache Around $110
    CD-RW: 40X12X48 EIDE CD-RW Around $90

I'm pretty happy with all of the components and their prices. Could you guys double check them for me thnx:confused: The case is a bit expensive but the awards it has won won me over as well. Mobo is said to support a 533MHz bus but having it actually implemented in it is a different story. Will the bus actually run at 533 MHz? The memmory speaks for itself. One thing I need to know is which company has the best brand, Samsung etc? Also you might notice that i have 394 MB instead of 512MB. I don't really think i need more than that since I'm a gamer. Vid Card is cool but the sound card and speakers got me thinking. Like I said I'm a gamer but i like to watch movies on the comp as well. The logitech spkrs were reviewed by Maximum PC and said to be the best in the 4.1 speaker setup. I need a good SC but as i read in the forums SB does not sell the Live! Platinum anymore, what should I do? Ahhh the HD thumbs-up to the 8MB cache woho. Finally I need a good maker for my CD-RW any suggestions?

I'm selling my old computer for which i paid $3800 back in the day the specs are as follows:
    1GHz AMD Athlon
    128 MB SDRAM
    32 MB Riva TNT
    60 GB HD
    8x/4x/32 CD-RW
    10x DVD drive
    What would be a reasonable price to ask for that computer. I was thinking $300 USD

I'm not really well educated on the RDRAM status, but last I checked, RDRAM needs to be installed in pairs. If you have that 128MB of RDRAM as 2 64MB sticks and the 256MB in 128MB sticks you're good to go. Otherwise, you'll need to have the same size sticks here. While 384MB seems to be the sweet spot, the problem comes in with using 2 different sizes of RDRAM. I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure this is the way it is. I've heard that Samsung is excellent here, and if their DDR is any indication, their RDRAM should be very good.

The Live! cards are older now, and have been notorious for causing people problems, though it's mostly with people running Via chipsets---which you're exempt from. Creative has a newer card, the Audigy which is better than the live. If you're dead-set on a rack sound card, the Hercules GameTheater XP is also another option you might wanna consider, and can be had around the $75 price point yer looking at.

Are you buying the processor alone or retail? I've checked newegg, and the retail 2.26 is about $20 more than the OEM.

Comment

RDRAM is installed in pairs kinda like the ancient SIMM modules...a buddy of mine not too long ago intstalled an extra 128MB with his p4 1.9 and used a pair.
      Audigy cards kick major ass with gaming...and go for 58 bucks (OEM of course) at newegg.com...: peace2:
      - Damien

Comment

The prices that I posted were simply what i got when i researched it on my own. They do not mean I will spend that much, I'm flexible when it comes to choosing a better product for more money. So if anything that you think if worth getting over what i got there please tell me.

Morgan should I just get the Audigy gamer for 60 bucks?? or get something different?

Thanks for the help Morgan and Flaco.

Comment

Depends on what you want from a sound card. IMO, the Hercules Fortissimo II sounds a little better, and should be a little cheaper OEM than the Audigy. Both are good, and if you need the firewire, the Audigy would be a better buy.

Comment

ML has said it all...he broke it down for ya...from here on ...its your decision...: peace2:
            - Damien

Comment

Re: Specs for my new comp.

hello,

it Depends on what you want from a sound cardyou need the firewire, the Audigy would be a better buy for sound card

thanks
              Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-09-2010, 04:23 AM.

Comment

WOW what a monstrous 8 year bump!
                CPU: Intel Xeon X3220
                Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L
                Memory: 8GB PC2-8500 OCZ2G10664GK
                Graphics Card: BFG Geforce GTX 260 OC
                Hard Drive: WD500GB
                Power Supply: Corsair HX620
                Case: Antec
                CPU cooling: Tuniq Tower 120
                Monitor: Acer H233H

Comment

Dang those are some monstrous specs!

Have to look back at this thread 8 years from now and marvel at how silly it seems that I spent $140 on a 60GB SSD!

Comment

Working...
                  X