geforce 256 (64mb DDR) and winXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• geforce 256 (64mb DDR) and winXP

ok, so i buckled and installed XP pro (corp version) on a spare parts PC as a dual boot with win98se....

no apparent problems, except with video

it recognizes the card, and gives it a default vga driver

in device manager, it shows a yellow ! and tells me :

this device cannot start (error code 10)

well, ooooook

so i updated the drivers, straight from nvidia, and when done installing, i got the SAME error code (after rebooting of course)

ummm, ok

i tried *9* other drivers, all saying they were for this particular card, and got the SAME message each time

i'm stuck at 800x600 @ 60hz on a 15" monitor (which i can't even tell the OS what monitor it is, and load the right driver for it!) and it sucks....

no conflicts (using ACPI), plenty of sharing going on and one other card it can't tell what it is (but not sharing an IRQ or memory space, but that's irrelevant in this case, removing it has no effect)

i've uninstalled, reinstalled and otherwise done everything that i know how to do to get a new vid card and it's driver installed, i'm out of ideas...

:?:

Have you tried deleting the drivers all together (and in Safe Mode) and then trying to install again?
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

On a slightly different topic, what brand is your GF256 DDR? I have only seen 64MB SDR cards :(
      My GF256 still rules! GF256 forever :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Comment

The 21.41 drivers that ship with XP should have picked up the card as a Geforce during setup. The fact it didn't says to me you're having a hardware conflict or resource problem. If your BIOS has it, make sure it is set to assign the VGA IRQ, that can casue problems on some systems. It might be helpful to know what your setup is apart from the video card so we can make some more suggestions.

You might find this helpful:

Comment

oh, XP does (did during setup, apparently too) recognize the card, but still gives the yellow ! , so there's no problem with hardware... the BIOS is set up right too

GF256 (64mb DDR) AGP
          amd k6-3 450 (underclocked to 400, cuz the farkin mobo manual is a ***** to understand)
          asus P5a mobo
          512mb pc133
          WD 6gb hdd on IDE1 (has xp on it)
          SG 8gb hdd on ATA (has win98se on it)
          16x HP cdrom (m) and a HP 8000 cdrw (S) on IDE2
          i even have a 5 1/4" floppy installed! :D

then, in order from top to bottom slot:
          cirrus 56gay winmodem
          creative CT7165-D dvd decoder card (currently not installed in the board)
          promise ata66 card (8gb SG drive)
          p.o.s. sound card (but it makes sound, so hey...)
          linksys nic
          adaptec 1505/1515 ISA scsi card (which btw, i don't recall seeing in device manager at all, in xp)

detailed enough? ;) i named the pc "SPARTZ" (spare parts, hehe)

as far as that mskb goes they give me this:

Code 10
          If the device has a "FailReasonString" value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator places this registry string value there. If there is no "FailReasonString" in the hardware key, the following generic error message is displayed:

This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device.

Solution button: Update Driver

To resolve this error code, make sure the device is connected to the computer correctly. For example, make sure all cables are plugged in fully and that all adapter cards are properly seated. Follow the suggested solution button and update the device driver. It may be possible to remove the device and redetect it using the Add New Hardware wizard.

bullcrap, to me and that's not exactly the same error code (text) i see
          i've done all the add/remove crap...

:confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Nick
            On a slightly different topic, what brand is your GF256 DDR? I have only seen 64MB SDR cards :(
            My GF256 still rules! GF256 forever :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
            i can't tell ya what brand it is - there's no brand markings on it other than NVIDIA

alllllllll my info about it was lost on that last @*^$)@_@(*&%&(@ Maxtor crash a while ago

but, here's what's on the card:

front:
            sticker, says Rev. A00
            sticker, says: DP/N 000561VH - 44571 - 045 - 0402
            serial#, hand printed on the tab that hangs out the back of the agp slot - hard to read, 3652 (i think)

the ram chips are Hyundai, and are marked as follows:
            HY5DV651622
            0006TA TC-G6

back:
            printed on the card, NVIDIA 180 - P0011 - 0000 - 000
            sticker, says 172647

the fan on it sez MEI, but bfd - i don't think that matters any, they just make fans

'zat help?

Comment

Ali chipsets can be a bit dodgy with Nvidia video cards. Download the latest chipset drivers below:

I also found some info on your board for setting it for the K6-3 450.

Comment

well, looks like there was a conflict of some sort with the winmodem being in slot 1 right next to the agp slot

removed it , rebooted, and the right driver showed up and i added the monitor :laugh:

shutdown, replaced the card, and rebooted, modem didn't show up

THEN it found the ISA scsi card! and put it in 3 times! the ONE card uses IRQ 11, 14 and 15!

AND it found the cdrom and cdr AGAIN?!

so i deleted 2 of the scsi and manualy added the modem, and now rebooting...

rebooted and found *another* scsi adapter...ummm - ok

screw it - so long as it works, right?! :D

fragman, the drivers didn't do diddly, i already had done them, ty anyway - but what are the those jumper settings for? which sets of jumpers?

and since when did amd make a k6-3 475?!?!

Comment

AMD made quite a few 95MHz bus speed processors (like the 475, and the K6-2 380), most of which were used by IBM in their systems.

Those were the jumper settings I got off Asus's site for the P5A. I realise now I cut off the top of it. You can get the updated manual from their site, just go to the motherboard section and see in the archived products.

Comment

Whenever I am installing an OS, I start with just the vid card, and the network card. Too much else going on to have you prompted to install various accessories before you get the basics configured. That, and for the reason that was just your problem.

Comment

I have the same card and had the same problem installing the detonator drivers until I did a Window's Update. Install the update for software compatibilities from the update page. Then, uninstall any previous nvidia drivers and reinstall. Do a system restart in between uninstall and reinstall.:afro:

Comment

Working...
                      X