Heatsink the wont break off my socket 370

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heatsink the wont break off my socket 370

Im looking for a heatsink that will preform well with a Athlon XP 2200. My only issue is that it cant be too heavy because I take my pc to LANs all the time and i cant be bothered with taking the heatsink off everytime i move it long distances which is about once a week. Any suggestions? (I would like to keep the price around $30USD)

err... once your Heat-sink and fan is on you don't need to take it off unless you are going to put you CPU in a different MotherBoard

But the volcano 7+, and the SLK-800 are good

Comment

I was going to get a Volcano 7+ until i read this:

"Mounting The Volcano 7+

I was certainly surprised to see that the Volcano 7+ came with no means of bolting to the motherboard via the 4 mounting holes commonly used with today's monster heatsinks.The weight of the Volcano 7+ should be enough to worry the average user of the ease at which the plastic lugs can shear off a socket if moved. I would certainly suggest that if the computer is moved about regularly then the Volcano 7+ is removed .

On the other side of the coin however this mounting procedure means that the heatsink can be fitted without removing the motherboard. A definite advantage if you are like me, continually swapping out parts in your system."

Any other suggestions?

(U can read it yourself here... http://www.deviantpc.com/reviews/volcano7/p2.shtml)

Comment

I take it that by Socket 370 your only using an older type Celeron or PIII so any reasonable aluminium HSF with a good fan would be sufficient for that as they don't produce anywhere near the heat of Athlon/Durons or P4's to warrant a heavy more modern one. If you are having temp problems then I suggest you look at your case ventilation. :smokin:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Opps! I ment socket A im going to be running an XP2200

Comment

For that CPU ya goin' to need at least a copper based HSF (which means weight) and really if ya do LANs a lot you would be better off looking into spending the extra and going for an Alpha/Swiftech solution that uses the 4 mounting holes that most motherboards have. Once the initial installation is done (propperly) you don't have to take the board out again to remove it. That's my 2cents worth. :smokin:

Comment

i tht really a problem? have you ever heard of it happening to anyone before? mabey shering them off during installation, but travel?

Comment

I have heard of folks buying PC's that had the HSF fall off during shipping. Plug it in and PHHHT --- bye bye.

Course these are folks that wouldn't know to check such a thing anyway. (I mean they bought the system for krisesake)
                The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Yes I have seen/heard of sockets being torn away from the motherboard due to ppl not propperly transporting their PC's with heavy HSF's attached. Not a pretty sight and we're not just talkin' about breaking the lugs but the whole socket. :eek:

Comment

The Volcano 7+ is a very good cooler, but since it has only a single clip to the center lug, it may not be optimal for your LAN transports. Look around for something that has a clip that uses all three lugs and it should be able to handle the rigors of the moving, even if it's on a regular basis. I would, however, suggest that you change out the TIM very regulary. Even if it is secure, the vibrations from being in a car will wear down the layer of protection between the sink and the core. Some of the Dr Thermal units are good and have a very nice clipping mechanism. You can also check out some of the Dynatron units as they tend to be relatively inexpensive and offer decent cooling if you get the larger fans installed.
                    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                    My Toys

Comment

well every friday and sunday i take my computer on a nice 1 hour drive, and i have a big 80mm aliminum HSF and it's still fine, and i'm putting a volcano 7+ on it hopefully today if my order has come in.
                      But then i have a window so it would be easy to ensure that it is all sitting nice.
                      How hard would it to make/modify the clip?

Comment

Darth my Volcano7+ comes with a single clip but uses the three lil lugs...on each side of the Socket A.. i must have misunderstood your post tho. The Volano 7+ is great altho really heavy...i really don't think breaking will occur. Just becareful when handling it and with six lil lug holding the thing it shouldn't move at all...: peace2:
                        - Damien

Comment

Yes the latest revision of the Volcano 7+ has a clip that uses all 6 lugs now to attach too. :thumb:

Comment

Its about time, with the tiny Athlon die size, it is silly for any Athlon HSf to NOT use all 3.

Comment

I wasn't aware that they had changed up their clip design. That's good to hear. :)
                              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                              My Toys

Comment

Working...
                              X