Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hope i can get some good info here, Gigabyte Extreme X58...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope i can get some good info here, Gigabyte Extreme X58...

Ok, heres the thing...all this new tech i know nothing about, the basics but thats it. Been out of the pc loop for a long time and just built this rig about a week ago. Most people are so vague on message boards it seems and i just hope i can get some thorough info to help out here, because im just a noob to all the new tech.

Im running an i7, gigabyte extreme x58 and 6gb of 1600 ddr3, also running vista 64.

I just noticed the little LED in the upper right corner of my cpu on the board occasionally hitting green, and then would blink a bit sometimes.

Everything has seemd to be fine, now i added a new t240hd monitor yesterday and grabbed a few new windows updates.

Last night i was playing WoW with 2 accounts and noticed those green lights steadily on and then blinking occasionally alot more than normal...at least from what ive gathered.

Then today i was playing neverwinter nights 2, and again the green light was on...but it actually touched red and blinked red a few times.

I grabbed one of those temp programs, realtemp...and my temps just fluxuated quick according to that, and while having up 2 WoW accounts the temps were just showing in the 70s and 80s on core 0 and 2, and 1 and 3 were showing in the 60s...

But the catch is....im not feeling heat in my case really nor is the heatsink hot at all, everything is quite cool.

Should i be concerned here, is this just a case of temp sensors being off maybe? Whats normal and what isnt, i just cant seem to get a straight answer....im not OCing or anything, all is stock and everything does run....but it just seems my mobo is indicating heat when there really isnt any heat....unless that green light above the cpu on the board isnt for heat.

I dont know, just need to hear some thoughts on really what is and isnt normal with this new gear.

With a system this powerful, i dont think im taxing it at all...im also running a gtx 295...and crysis runs well according to what i see on the screen....i just want to make sure nothing else is off.

So please if someone can give me a little time here, id appreciate it.

Re: Hope i can get some good info here, Gigabyte Extreme X58...

ROFLMAO!!!! Okay, the red LED is not a warning light of any kind. It's the DES lights, telling you how many power phases are in use at that moment. Basicly, when system load is low, the board will dynamically turn off power phases. When it's operating at minimum number of phases, the green lights are the only ones that come on. When it's moderately stressed, it cranks up to add yellow LEDs to the mix. Then, when it's really loaded up, and all the power phases are in use, the red LED comes on.

Temps up to the 80's on 2 cores and in the 60's on 2 others indicate poor heatsink installation. Reseat heatsink again. It's not on right.
    Ci7 2600K @4.6Ghz/8Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600/Asus Sabertooth P67/EVGA GTX 580/Patriot Torqx 128/1 Tb WD Black
    Ci7 920/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/HIS Radeon HD 5870/750Gb Seagate ES.2, 2Tb WD Green
    And several other rigs...

Comment

^^^ I Agree for sure! ^^^

Be sure you Calibrate RealTemp as well >>>
      Installation & Calibration Page
      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-09-2009, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeOfThorns316 View Post
        But the catch is....im not feeling heat in my case really nor is the heatsink hot at all, everything is quite cool.
        This right here was the biggest indicator of an improperly installed heatsink. A Core i7 heatsink should NEVER be cool to the touch. If it's working right, it should be at least fairly warm if not outright hot to the touch. That means it's really sucking the heat off the processor. If it's cold to the touch, and the CPU shows it's running warm, then logically, the heatsink is not attached right.
        Ci7 2600K @4.6Ghz/8Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600/Asus Sabertooth P67/EVGA GTX 580/Patriot Torqx 128/1 Tb WD Black
        Ci7 920/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/HIS Radeon HD 5870/750Gb Seagate ES.2, 2Tb WD Green
        And several other rigs...

Comment

Working...
        X