did i screw the heatsink up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did i screw the heatsink up?

****! I just got a new heatsink for my new computer. i took it out of its case and touched the bottom of it. there was some gluey substance on the bottom of the heatsink. it looked like a little square piece of tape on the bottom of the heatsink. was i not supposed to touch this? should i take it off the heatsink? someone please help!

That's called a "TIM" (Thermal Inteface Material) and it usually ain't worth it weight in toilet paper. It's best to remove it and use Arctic Silver III instead for the best cooling performance. And no it's not good to touch it as oils from your skin will inhibate what little quality there is to it. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

But relax, and don't throw your heatsink out :) Artic Silver is easy to find (mostly any online computer vendor worth their salt stocks it) and also cheap. If you can't find it in your area or want to save a few bucks, any 'thermal transfer paste' will do. You can buy generic stuff that does the job (not as well as Artic Silver though) in a tube for a couple of bucks from Dick Smith or Jaycar here in Australia, or any local electronics shop in your state :D

Vindaloo.

edit : edited to suit your location :)

Comment

If you have most of the 'stuff' left on the Heat sink, then don't worry at all, and use it as it... Just make sure that of what is left, is Level. Oh and make sure that if there is any plastic tape over top of the 'stuff' that you take the TAPE off, as tape is not designed to conduct heat.

Comment

yep...
          once again zeradul...i love ur avatar!:D

Comment

Working...
          X