PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Access Some Websites

Corduroy
07-06-2002, 08:17 AM
I am sharing a DSL connection in my house with Windows XP. I have found that I cannot access the following websites on the two computers that are sharing the connection:

blkviper.com
aynrand.org
stylusmagazine.com

These are just a few of the website that for no apparent reason I cannot load. I can, however, access these sites on the computer that is directly connected to the DSL line.

What could be causing these and other websites to not load for me? This is getting annoying, please help me out.:confused:

Wiggo
07-06-2002, 09:04 AM
Now if your getting the symbol in the pic below then that is probably why. If you go to Internet properties/ security and click on the Trusted sites icon then Sites button then add the site there like I did with Tweaktown (*.tweaktown.com) it should work to let you veiw those sites. :smokin:

Corduroy
07-06-2002, 03:41 PM
Well, I added the sites to the trusted sites in Internet Explorer, yet they won't load. Does this have something to do with the connection sharing? I am still left without a clue.

Wiggo
07-06-2002, 03:44 PM
No sharing should have nothing to do with it. Are you still getting that symbol? If so double click on it and see what cookies it's stopping. :?:
<center>:cheers:</center>

Corduroy
07-07-2002, 02:37 AM
No, I wasn't getting that symbol at all. I don't think this has anything to do with cookies. Atleast it's not telling me that.

FA-MAS
07-12-2002, 12:31 PM
Here's whatcha do. Bring up a DOS box and try to ping these domain names. Do so from that particular machine. Of course you would type:

ping www.aynrand.org

Do the same thing for all the domains. If it gives you replies, I would think a browser problem. Maybe try Netscape or something else. If no replies, then what does it tell you? Plz post the results of those pings.

Corduroy
07-14-2002, 05:11 AM
C:\>ping www.blkviper.com

Pinging www.blkviper.com [205.139.55.14] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 144.232.241.90: Destination net unreachable.

Ping statistics for 205.139.55.14:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\>ping www.aynrand.org

Pinging www.aynrand.org [216.241.32.171] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.241.32.171: bytes=32 time=87ms TTL=240
Reply from 216.241.32.171: bytes=32 time=88ms TTL=240
Reply from 216.241.32.171: bytes=32 time=117ms TTL=240
Reply from 216.241.32.171: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=240

Ping statistics for 216.241.32.171:
Minimum = 87ms, Maximum = 117ms, Average = 95ms

C:\>ping www.stylusmagazine.com

Pinging www.stylusmagazine.com [209.249.147.216] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.249.147.216: bytes=32 time=99ms TTL=50
Reply from 209.249.147.216: bytes=32 time=150ms TTL=50
Reply from 209.249.147.216: bytes=32 time=100ms TTL=50
Reply from 209.249.147.216: bytes=32 time=100ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for 209.249.147.216:
Minimum = 99ms, Maximum = 150ms, Average = 112ms

FA-MAS
07-14-2002, 11:56 AM
Wow, It's good that you get replies from the first 2, that means that it resolved them to IP's.

You should be able to at least browse to aynrand.org and
stylusmagazine.com.

As for blkviper.com, notice how you told it to ping that blkviper.com, it resolved to an IP address, and another IP told you that the other was unreachable? They prolly have it behind a firewall or something. Or part of their network's down. Which lead me to another thing.

The IP that told you the destination was unreachable. I ran an nslookup on it, and it turned out to be:

144.232.241.90 = sl-calicity-1-0.sprintlink.net

Lemme ask you, who is your ISP?

Either way, I believe this is a browser issue., If you're using IE, run the IE repair tool by going to Add/Remove Programs, highlighting IE, hitting the Add/Remove button, and choose Repair IE.

Also check the internet options to make sure that there are no proxies set. Check that under the connection tab.

Also go through all the tabs and reset everything to default.

If that doesn't work, try another browser and tell me how it goes. Of course Netscape or something else.

Later.

Corduroy
07-14-2002, 03:23 PM
Thanks a lot FA-MAS,

I'm going to try everything that you suggested and I'll get back to you with my results, hopefully things will start working again. Thanks Again.

Corduroy
07-15-2002, 06:15 AM
I tried to run a repair tool by going to the add/remove programs menu, but no such option exists in windows XP.

So, I went to Microsoft's website and they advised running sfc /scannow from Run at the Start Menu. This utility scans windows files and makes sure that they are entact.

This utility just sat on the middle of my desktop with a little progress bar for about 30 minutes and once it was completed it just went away, no status report, no "completed" message, nothing. So, I'm back at square one.

Is there a real repair utility for IE 6?

Wiggo
07-15-2002, 06:20 AM
Yes there is and when one of the XP PC's here are free I'll have a look for it but in Win9x it can also be found under tools in System Info. :smokin:

Mr. C
07-15-2002, 06:33 AM
There has to be somethin' -- man I would be way aggravated by now with this problem, Corduroy has the patience of a saint.

FYI; I was born in the same town as HAL 9000 -- small world ain't it?

Mr. C
07-15-2002, 06:52 AM
Now here's a lovely bunch of coconuts (http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q318378)

If that doesn't help, is there any possibility you at 1 time had ZoneAlarm and uninstalled it perhaps? Is this an upgrade installation from Windows ME? if so. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q313067

There's a proggy called InternetBoost99 or something like that that has been known to cause problems too.
OK, I'm reaching here -- but I want to help honest!

Corduroy
07-15-2002, 08:49 AM
I have XP installed on a clean HD, no upgrades. The only programs I have installed that involve the internet at all are Norton 2001 and Download Accelerator, but neither should block certain IPs from loading in IE arbitrarily.

FA-MAS
07-15-2002, 11:03 AM
Take off Download Accelerator plz. All those things do is cache the pages so it appears faster, and it can be messing you up. I've seen it way too many times.

Also try another browser, download Netscape if you have to. Just to determine if it's something with IE or something else.

Later

Corduroy
07-15-2002, 11:15 AM
It was my understanding that Download Accelerator downloaded from mulitiples mirrors in order to increase the speed of a DL. It appears to do that whenever I use it.

I have had Download Accelerator on other XP boxes as well and it hasn't caused this problem, but I will uninstall it and see what happens.

sKuLLsHoT
07-15-2002, 01:10 PM
what are you using to share the internet?

I can, however, access these sites on the computer that is directly

that spews to me that its your sharing software which i assume is in crappy built-in sharing :)

i would guess that you have firewalling turned on and maybe that is causing it?

Corduroy
07-15-2002, 05:00 PM
skullshot,

I am using the sharing that is built in to windows XP, I don't have any of the firewall option in XP turned on. Their is another computer on the network that does not have this problem which is also running XP.

If this is a glitch in XP, I think it's a pretty big one that Microsoft would have patched already.

Wiggo's-sister
07-15-2002, 05:24 PM
Take off Download Accelerator plz. All those things do is cache the pages so it appears faster, and it can be messing you up. I've seen it way too many times.

Also try another browser, download Netscape if you have to. Just to determine if it's something with IE or something else.

Later

I have DAP and it's not stopping me from getting into any sites. I know I'm on a different OS Corduroy, but I just thought I let you know anyway.:?:

Corduroy
07-16-2002, 01:34 AM
I uninstalled DAP and it did nothing to fix this problem. I'm pretty sure it has to be something wrong with the internet sharing on this box or something screwy with IE. I ran the Net Diagnostics tool in the System Info screen like suggested, but I got all positive results.

If anyone can pull something out of anywhere as to why this isnt' working it would save me having to the opposite end of the building to use 4 websites. (I have now discovered I cannot use Directron.com on my box)

FA-MAS
07-16-2002, 09:32 AM
I have DAP and it's not stopping me from getting into any sites. I know I'm on a different OS Corduroy, but I just thought I let you know anyway.:?:

Yeah, I'm not saying that it is the problem. I'm just saying that I've seen programs like it be a problem too many times. It obviously doesn't download the pages from mirrors tho, just files that you download right?

sKuLLsHoT has a point. I missed that sentence previously. But, If you can ping it, that means the DNS is resolving and it actually is routing to that machine. I still believe that this is a browser issue. Have you tried a different browser yet?

sKuLLsHoT
07-16-2002, 01:37 PM
re-install the TCP stack, theres a strong chance that is the problem, easiest way to get that done would be to delete the network card from control panel and re-install it (even if it does it automatically)

oh and FA-MAS, just because you can ping a site doesnt mean the sharing is not the problem, being that internet uses port 80 and pinging uses 37(?) or wotever (LDAP) and port 53 for DNS queries - add the fact that ICS IS CRAP :) and you have a valid reason to question it

but as an easier option, try a different browser as suggested before. I recommend Opera - its not too big a download - www.opera.com - and its better than Netscape !!

Corduroy
07-17-2002, 02:10 AM
FA-MAS,

Download Accelerator may have caused you problems in the past on some systems, but the program is actually handy. Let's say I want to download a common file, like a quake mod that is a bit hefty as far as size goes. Well, there are usually 10 sites listed for that download. You can selected all of those sites one by one and DAP (Download Accelerator Plus) will download from all of those mirrors.

Sites that automatically redirect to different mirrors are really nice with it too, since it will automatically try to download from all the mirrors.

I'm downloading netscape right now. We'll see if this does it.

FA-MAS
07-17-2002, 04:24 AM
oh and FA-MAS, just because you can ping a site doesnt mean the sharing is not the problem, being that internet uses port 80 and pinging uses 37(?) or wotever (LDAP) and port 53 for DNS queries - add the fact that ICS IS CRAP :) and you have a valid reason to question it

Good point, but all i was trying to prove is that he is accessing dns servers and that they are resolving the host names to IP's. I do understand that something may be blocking port 80, but then he wouldn't be able to browse to anything on port 80.

And Corduroy, I hope Netscape works for you. And that Download Accelerator sounds like one of the nicer programs of it's kind. Again I'm not saying it is the problem, obviously you removed it and the problem still exists. So that's not the prob.

Later

sKuLLsHoT
07-17-2002, 09:53 AM
i meant port 139 and LDAP is 389 :)

so yeah see how NS goes, no matter how much it sucks!

I still say you should have got Opera :argue:

Corduroy
07-18-2002, 01:22 AM
Okay, netscape does not load these sites either. Now, if you can figure this out I would be amazed, but don't worry about this, I'm going back to school in a month and a half and will be able to take in the full pleasure of multiple T1 connections.

This problem is way beyond my capacity for troubleshooting at this point. Keep throwing suggestions at me if you've good them.

FA-MAS
07-18-2002, 04:10 AM
Wow, now that makes me believe more and more that it's the sharing software. If possible, try other sharing software or a hardware solution. Linksys routers are cheap.

sKuLLsHoT
07-18-2002, 12:29 PM
get winroute: www.winroute.com

either pro or lite depending on your cash/other means

i can probably guarantee that it will work

Corduroy
07-19-2002, 11:01 AM
What is a good Internet Connection Sharing Program that I can get as freeware for a trial period?

sKuLLsHoT
07-22-2002, 08:56 AM
did you not read my previous post at all? (winroute lite is free)

zeradul
07-22-2002, 03:58 PM
Cord can be like that sometimes. :D Two months ago I suggested he try the ICS software I gave him.

Wiggo
07-22-2002, 04:21 PM
Funny that I use ICS and ZoneAlarm and none of the other PC's here have trouble pickin' those sites up but my server is runnin' 98SE. :?:

Corduroy
07-23-2002, 02:04 PM
Zeradul,

No need to be a jackass. I know that you told me to use that ICS software, but I didn't have it, and I told you that I no longer had it. I will be installing some sort of new sharing software as I have recently used my computer that was having problems on a different internet line and I am now more than able to load those sites. Thanks everyone.

zeradul
07-24-2002, 01:28 AM
Haha! Easy Cord! You DID have it at the time I first suggested it.

ruljo
09-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi

I have exactly the same problem. 2 Vista laptops connected to internet via a Linksys wireless router. It all worked just fine for a year until yesterday when all of a suddent some web sites just won't load (google, yahoo, gmail, some other sites as well), some load just 50% (youtube, facebook; maybe only text loads without images or the web site loads in a non flash mode) while some other web sites work fine.

If I plug the computers to the router with a cable all works just fine. One laptop has firefox and IE installed while the other has Opera and IE. The problem persists regardless of the browser used. Firewall, antivirus do not affect this. I am sure it has to do with the wlan on router. Anyone else experienced this? Do I have to replace it?

I loged on into the management console of my router and nobody touched anything; all the settings are just as they were. I have no idea how to diagnose or fix this...

Thanks for any help/ideas...

Lovely World
01-30-2010, 02:17 AM
No sharing should have nothing to do with it. Are you still getting that symbol? If so double click on it and see what cookies it's stopping

pogsnet
05-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Try proxy sites like Pix Proxy Advance (http://www.pixproxy.co.nr/) if any case it can get through maybe their is a software in your PC that blocks it from viewing or your ISP but that would be less likely.

davidjack12
09-16-2011, 01:22 AM
These are just a few of the website that for no apparent reason I cannot load. I can, however, access these sites on the computer that is directly connected to the DSL line.