What is CPU stepping, and cpuid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is CPU stepping, and cpuid?

I'm browsing through my Linux (KDE) control panel, and it is showing my CPU stepping as "3". What does this mean? It also lists something called cpuid which is set at "2". What do these stand for/do?

OK, I'm going to take a shot at this. It's all pretty darn tech so bear with me please.

CPUID is a function that can be called upon by any software to determine the processors capabilities. In this way the software can send instructions to the processor in the optimum manner. As in, using SSE vs. 3DNow instructions for example.

I don't claim to understand alot about this, because I don't. I am damn glad it works though:laugh:

As for stepping;
    0 = Ax
    1 = B0
    2 = B1
    3 = B2

As to the CPUID being defined as "2", I have no information as yet. If I should stumble across something, I'll get back to you.

This is all way over my head, so I can only hope it is helpful. Perhaps some kindly-uber-brained person will come along and enlighten us both, I hope!
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

A stepping on a CPU is basically like a newer version of some software. Like Direct X8. You have DX8.0, DX8.1, DX8.1b. Same for steppings: just a particular version of the core. These feature updates to address certain problems (yes, the CPU cores have problems---you just may not notice them).

For the CPUID, I have no clue. My guess would be that it's some sort of identidfication, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Working...
      X