Hooking up headphones + speakers to a soundcard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooking up headphones + speakers to a soundcard

My current computer setup has altec lansing speakers hooked up to a soundblaster 512V pci card. I'd like to connect some headphones up to my system as well. However, to do this, I have to unhook the altec lansing from the output port, and plug the headphones in their place. After awhile, this gets a little tedious. Is there a way I can have both hooked up at the same time?

Thanks.

You most certainly can, you need a mini-jack splitter they are availiable anywhere and everywhere. Radio shack, best buy, circuit city, menards, lowes, home depot. From as cheap as 99 cents to a fancy one at radio shack for 5-6$.

There are two syles, Radio shack has the best selection, so I'd say just go there and get which ever one you like most.

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the help.

Comment

How does it control which one produces sound? :?:
        Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

Just speaking for the one I bought.... they both produce the sound. When I'm using one, I turn down the volume on the other (my headphones have a volume control on them).

Comment

If they don't (like my 14.99 one) then you are just stuck with having them on...but my speakers can be turned off...: peace2:
            - Damien

Comment

I rarely see one, but there are splitters out there that have a switch to control the output. The few I have stumbled across have about a 3' cord between the connector to the soundcard and the switch so you can place the switch in a convenient location.
              They do seem to be too hard to find though.
              Fortunately, my Hercules Game Theater XP solved all that and a few other problems as well, with all the external connections on it.
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

How about the Audigy?...any features that i don't know of that don't require a splitter?
                - Damien

Comment

Flaco, what are you asking??

A splitter is nothing more than two(or more) female connections which are powered by one Male connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaco
                    How about the Audigy?...any features that i don't know of that don't require a splitter?
                    Have you got the panel that sits in a 5 1/2" bay? if so, then you should have a headphone jack on the front, and not need a splitter

Comment

Alrighty...thanks BeeFY...Zeradul i was aking if the Audigy might have a feature that might not need a splitter since it has a whole bunch of outs. One a mic,one for a digital, and i think there are two for normal speaker..i'm not sure...thanks anyway...: peace2:
                      - Damien

Comment

Switch to a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and you can easily have both connected at once.

Comment

the only thing i would worry about is that you could ruin your card. cuz the card puts out so many ohms and your speakers take those ohms now if you run both at the same time you could tke such a toll that it breaks i hope that makes sense. a way to get around this is with a impedance matcher and tha matches the ohms of the card then puts out more so you don't short anything. i know this sounds like **** but i hav had it happen to cd players and a couple otherr things this is the problem i ran into with the 5 way splitter that i posted about earlier. any body want to come in for some backup. (cough) zeradul(do you got a clue about this)

Comment

Working...
                          X