5.1 speakers - what's out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.1 speakers - what's out there?

I'm looking for good quality (ie. Klipsch standard) 5.1 speakers, but there doesn't seem to be much actually available here in Australia. Does anyone know anything about existing or upcoming 5.1 speakers that are worth buying?

At present I'm considering some Altec Lansing 4.1 speakers because I can't find any 5.1's that really compare. And apparently the Klipsch Promedia 5.1 speakers aren't available until October (if at all).

Thanks,

krayz

I'd HIGHLY recommend the Altec Lansing 641's - They are a bit expensive but well worth the cash!
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Ah yes, they are my number 1 choice so far, but they are "only" 4.1 speakers aren't they? I don't suppose AL do any 5.1 speakers?

How do they compare with the AL ADA890 speakers? You gave both of these a glowing review iirc.

krayz

Comment

Altec Lansing don't do 5.1 - Their 4.1's are good enough. :)

The difference in sound quality between the 641's and ADA890's can be noticed. The 641's are more defined at louder volumes and had impressive and powerful bass.
        Managing Director
        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Ah, excellent. Thanks for your help!

Now I just have to find somewhere that will send them to Darwin! :)

krayz

Comment

Check around for prices, I find this place fairly well priced generally.
            Managing Director
            Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Well I put my money down for a set of AL 641 speakers. Surprisingly, my local Leading Edge distributor was able to source them for $599, and I don't have to pay shipping either. They'll be here in a week. :)

Thanks,

krayz

Comment

Well, thanks for the recommendation Mr Tweak! :) After a couple of weeks of listening, it's very clear that these 641 speakers are absolutely incredible. I've tested them on games, movies and various music formats, and I've never heard such good sound coming from my computer. For example, the opening screen of Warcraft III, where the meteorites strike the landscape, create a satisfying shake around the entire room! Previously, they just distorted my poor old creative speakers. Music definition is also excellent - far better than the other 4.1 and 5.1 options (Hercules, Yamaha, Creative) I recently heard in a PC store.

Thanks,

krayz

Comment

Tweak loves his altecs :afro:
                  TT Original

Comment

Good stuff krayzkrok :thumb:
                    Managing Director
                    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak
                      altec lansing does 5.1. the model is called the 251. i checked the quality and it sounded pretty good, and it's got good value at around 75 dollars u.s... much better than the cambridge value model.

Comment

krayzkrok How far behind you do you have your rear speakers?

:confused:

Comment

Innovision do Klipsch...

The promedia 5.1s are more expensive than the Altecs, but put them side by side and they totally blow them away, The sound quality and the pure brute over the Altecs is quite astonishing, and the build quality is also superior over Altecs, If you got the cash, go for Klipsch, you won't be disappointed :thumb:

*edit* reading further down the page I noticed you already bought some Altecs....oh well...

Comment

Heard the altecs the other day & they're great. The K's must really be something.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak
                              Yep they do.................here is what I have......... Altec Lansing ADA 885 THX Dolby Digital 5.1

Comment

Working...
                              X