KVM switch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KVM switch question

Recently bought a KVM switch, to hook up two boxes to the same keyboard/monitor/mouse. I noticed that it blurs the resolution a bit when I use it though. Is the KVM responsible, or could it be that the signal is dying out since it has to travel through another DB15 (is that right? I'm referring to the monitor cable...) cable? Thanks ahead.

It maybe the switch or poor quality/faulty cable. :smokin:

Comment

Well, it does it on both machines, so that would mean both monitor cables would be bad. The switch was $20, which was pretty cheap compared to some of the other stuff I looked at. Would poor resolution be expected from a cheaper switch? Manhattan is the company that makes it, I don't know much about them.

So attenuation wouldn't be a problem them? Would it be worth checking out different monitor cables?

Comment

Yes that could be it. :smokin:

Comment

most KVMs have limits as to how high the res and refresh rates of a monitor can go check if you are trying to go outside of this spec
          TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

I had a problem with the screen being a bit "fuzzy" with my KVM.
            I purchased some pipe insulation, the kind that comes in 6' lengths - made out of foam - with a slit down the length of it.
            (6 foot worked, 'cause that's how long my monitor cables are for the KVM)
            I got 2 lengths for 1/2 inch diameter pipe, with the insulation being 3/8" thick. Ran my monitor cables through the insulation, and the rest of the cables I fastened to the outside of the insulation with some cable-ties.
            It really cut back the interference I was getting with the rinky-dink monitor cables that came with the KVM --- cleared the display right up nicely. It actually looks kinda' nice in a way too, laying behind the desk there all bundled up.

Worked wonders for me anyway, do-it-yourself shielding for $4 US.

:thumb:

I'll say it one more time for the record, some of the best tweaking materials can't be found in computer shops :laugh:
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
              Mr. C[/size]]
              I'll say it one more time for the record, some of the best tweaking materials can't be found in computer shops :laugh:
              Simply amazing what can be obtained from auto and hardware stores. :eek:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

LOL
                Maybe it's just me, but I look for stuff I can use for my computer when I'm at the grocery store:laugh:
                The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Hey garden nurseries are ok too. ;)

Comment

Thanks, I'll check it out.:thumb:

Comment

One more question on the KVM subject...

I have two boxes on the KVM, my XP machine and then a Linux machine. When I turn the switch to change to the other box, sometimes I lose my keyboard. The Num Lock, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock light up (and stay lit up), and then I'm unable to use the keyboard on either machine without resetting. However, the mouse and the monitor have no problems going back and forth. Any ideas as to why this happens?

Comment

There are two types of KVM's, the first one is the old, crappy kind, and probably what you have.

1: Physical Switches

You turn a knob, and if physically disconnects the keyboard and mouse circuits, as well as vga and then reconnects them as the knob rotates. One thing that will tip you off is your monitor will flicker OFF for an instant as you turn the knob. If you have a valulable monitor and this type of KVM I would seriously suggest just getting a cheap second monitor, keyboard, and mouse for your Linux box, or you might ruin your current monitor.

2: Silicon/PCB Switches

These are the expensive ones, they actually are far far better. What they do is recieve every refresh of the screen, and then as you switch from one to the next it just replaces PC1 screen refresh's with PC2. The Monitor doesn't know anything happened. Which is much healtier for the monitor. Another benefit is that you can switch monitors from the keyboard, this is brand specific, but you can switch monitors by hitting for example CTRL-Q-(PC #) Which can be very handy if you have a 20 computer KVM system.

Cybex is the king of KVM's. Belkin have models out that suck. Lets face it Just about everything belkin makes sucks--except their cables. Linksys also has some models out, which are probably pretty good as well, but I have not used them or read anything on them.

You can skimp and use the cheapest PS2 cables you can find with no consequences, but DO NOT skimp on the VGA cables. a 6 foot section of VGA cable that can effectivly handle better than 1024 will cost at least 15 bucks each. (US Dollars)

Comment

Your Keyboard problem is probably caused by a little corrotion on the mecanical contacts of the physical switch type you have. Either that, or the computer is confused (and rightly so) by the slight sudden drain of power it recieves as the switch is rotated into contact and the keyboard and its LED's are powered up again.

Comment

Gotcha. Any specific type of KVM you'd recommend by Cybex? I'd rather not get a new monitor/mouse/keyboard. Partially due to cost and partially due to space.

I bought some new cable today and some pipe insulation. I skimped on the cable first time around... bought two 15' vga cables that costed about $4 each. This time got 2 6' vga cables for $15 each. I'll see how that goes.

Here is the KVM I bought: http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/profile/291.htm

Didn't say much about the specs, but it was only $20 so I figured what the hell. Comparing the price of mine with some of the others, it's gotta be the "old crappy kind" lol.

Comment

That's about on par with my KVM.
                              I never use it to switch between 2 running PC's but rather shut down 1 system, change the switch and boot the other system.
                              Some of the older motherboards don't handle the hot-switching at all, and really do require a higher quality KVM switch that emulates the keyboard and mouse.

But when I use it within the parameters I described, it does fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X