how to cut your case for a Window Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to cut your case for a Window Kit

ok i just order my Acrylic Window Kit from PC Modifications (https://www.pcmods.com/details.asp?ProdID=442) i an look see how do i cut my case to get this Window kit put in.. i was think to goto HOME DEPOT to see if they can cut it for me. i want to know, how you guy get your case cut???:rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

Myself I'd pull out my trusty jigsaw and file but others would go for their Dremels plus theres probably the odd few that would grab an Oxy, chainsaw or angle grinder (personally I'd leave the last 3 well alone). Some others though would probably feel safer to take the side panel and window kit down to their local metalwork factory and have it done there by professionals.
    Here's a review and "how to" for one, http://www.ocmelbourne.com/reviews/APCM-window/ :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

hey Wiggo thx. can i see your case and how long did it take u to do your....

Comment

Well if I had a pic of it you'd only see a few fan holes in the side, sorry no window here. :(
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

nice............I just cut my case today as a matter a fact....I used a Dremel tool and the piece that was used was the black round one its a cut off wheel its 1 and a 1/4 inch diametor and its fiber glass reinforced.....basically just put it up at max RPM I did 30,000 RPM was the max for me......and just let the wheel slide....if you apply to much pressure the wheel can actually melt away (twice for me) you would smell a burning smell thats the smell of the paint on your case. Go into the rotation of the wheel go with the flow don't fight it or you won't get a clean cut cause it will bounce...once you have your whole cut use the grinding stone to smooth off all the handing pieces of metal so you don't severely cut yourself then use the wire tool to polish it and make it smooth apply your window and boom I wish I had pictures of while I was cutting but I don't..........sorry I do have pictures of my finished and the before if you want them.........good luck with your cutting........there were alot of sparks for me so that was fun =)

Comment

well i marked mine out then cut out the corners with a hole saw, and cut the rest with a jigsaw.
            the hole saw had 2 uses; 1-Starting spot for the jigsaw, 2-cutout part of the corner for me.
            just be very careful with my hole saw method, i checked mesurements a no. of times first and purposly cut i a little bit.

hope this helps:thumb:

Comment

ok ReSpAwN DeMoN thx alot can u sent pic of it : peace2:

Comment

I can understand it's a bit nerve-wracking to see your beloved system go under the knife, especially the first time.

But it's all for a good cause ruff97 -- kind of like breast augmentation for your PC, scary but just think of the end result

Just have a good plan and a steady hand .....measure twice, cut once.
                The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

here you go.......ya I agree with Mr. C on that one.....I didn't want to cut my poor side ppanel and then risk screwing something up and having to get a new one but its all good check these pics out

Comment

RD the Dremel you got is a non-battery one right..cuaz i think that the only one that hits 30,000 RPM...

Can you imagine a CPU fan that fast 30,000 RPMS...it would be called the Thermal Take Volcan0,Tornado/Earthquake/Thunder/Hurricane Monster 30x7+

Ahhh the possibilities....:geek:
                    - Damien

Comment

lol ya its electrically powered......I can't even imagine 30 thousand RPM no hard driveruns at that or fans or engines or anything now that you think about it picture spinning 30 thousand times every minute.....jeezes christ

Comment

CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT ...lol...i got the same dremel...and i used lil' squirts water to cut a hole on my side panel without letting the wheel get too hot.
                        - Damien

Comment

lol squirts of water? I didn't even think of that......I did notice however the fiberglass glowing red a little bit during the cutting I went through 3 freakin wheels just to cut that hole in my case.....was it worth it? yes its a hundred bucks well spent

Comment

You gotta post your pics man...i wanna see it...and did you cut any blow holes on the P-Glass?
                            - Damien

Comment

I've never used one of the fiberglass reinforced wheels. Only the thin sandstone looking type, once you get the wheel through the case it just chews through like nobody's business -- definitely attributable to the high RPM's.
                              They are very inexpensive $4 to $5 US for a pack of 20. You just have to hold them very steady, any twisting at all and they will shatter like glass -- safety goggles or glasses are a must have.
                              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Working...
                              X