Temps at 58 to 60C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temps at 58 to 60C

I have a AMD Athlon K7 1.4Ghz CPU, running on a ASUS A7M266 (recently updated bios).

I used to run at 45 to 49C and then I overclocked to 1.55Ghz... and everything was cool... 3-4months later... now the temp was at 63C idle and 67C during load... my comp would reboot every 4 hours.... and I already have a S config in the case... for cooling and a chipset fan... a CPU fan.. and one on my Geforce4 TI 4200 128MB DDR. :) Well... I cleaned all the dust out...(wasnt much) and everything.... I got the temp down to 57C, buy cutting out the Grill ont he fan in the front of the case that sucks in air... and the one next to the CPU that throws out air... but it is still high.. and now I am back to 1.4Ghz cause I don't want it to melt.... so... could someone tell me what went wrong? is it just that the thermal diode went bad on the processor? and now it is gonna stay that hot? cause everything is running fine now (no random reboots)... games and all I play at full res... during tons of load... my max is 62C... but the it falls back down to like 57-58C...

I would appreciate ANY input!

AMD Athlon 1.4Ghz
    Asus A7M266 (VIA) << all drivers updated!
    512MB DDR
    Geforce4 TI 4200 128MB DDR
    Windows XP Professional

Could it be your thermal paste...?.How long was it since you replaced it with a new thin coat?... Just a thought...: peace2:
    - Damien

Comment

Hey!

I haven't touched my CPU ever since I installed it... that was like 6 months ago.. or more.... and... I just ordered a new chipset fan.. .cause this one is kinda noisy now... and it comes with the thermal compound tube... so I will be replacing that on my CPU... I am hoping that will fix things... it should be here in a week...

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

NP man...its prolly that since you kinda sacratched out every possibility i can think of..except that one of course..the paste used by alot of people here in the forums is Artic Silver 3...i use it and works fine..but that paste included prolly works just fine or prolly is Artic Silver. Peace Man and take it ez...: peace2:

Remember to remove the old paste with a qtip and alcohol. Make sure it completely dries b4 applying the New stuff...and make it a thin coat ...if you didn't know that already...: peace2:
        - Damien

Comment

It probably has a few dust bunnies in there as well so open it up and give it clean. I've seen some HSF's so full of dust that the fan was being fouled. :eek:
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I applied... thermal compount smooth layer... after cleaning off the CPU and the heatsink bottom with alcohol... and now the temp is at 56.5 idle... Why is it not going down?

Also while replacing my chipset fan, I could slightly read the workding written on the chipset... kinda like it was slightly... burnt... that is why i ordered a new chipset fan... is this why my comp keeps rebooting... every 8 to 9 hours?

I just don't get it... it reboots with this message...

"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x00000008, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000008). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071002-01.dmp."

Comment

While reading through this post, I noticed that you have an Asus motherboard. Are you, by chance, using Asus Probe to measure your temperatures? If so, then disregard any result you get from it and get something better. While a thermal probe is best, most folks have found that Motherboard Monitor or SiSoft Sandra are very close to accurate in their readings. :)
              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
              My Toys

Comment

Usin hardware monitor program.. www.hmonitor.com

Comment

Working...
                X