epox 58mvp3c-m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• epox 58mvp3c-m

anyone have any luck OC'ing this board with an amd k6-3 450?
    (k6-3+, i think, though it isn't printed on the chip it does show a + on sysinfo)

wiggo - i see you have a similar board and the same chip, but it's not the same so i dunno if any of your settngs would apply

i've tried before using 5 and 5.5 x 100 and it didn't boot, but i didn't change the voltage (it's @ 2.4v now) cuz i didn't know enough about that
    now that i do, i dunno what to change it to, so i guess nothing has changed

for reference:
    ftp://ftp.epox.com/support/motherboa...s/mvp3c121.pdf
    that's the right manual, ignore the filename

oh, and the manual SAYS it supports 512 of L2, but 3dmark2001 says i have 256 and that's the only place i've seen ANY app tell me *anything* about the L2 cache on this board... odd eh?

and since it's a pc100 FSB, i can't really do diddly with that or can i?

Honest point #1 here first, I do not own an AMD processor.

That said; let's give it a whirl.

The L2 cache you refer to is built into the processor (on-die) and runs at clock speed. Not external on the mobo.

I believe you will find that the max multiplier for that CPU is 5.5
    6 can be achieved, but not at the 100Mhz FSB speed. It would be neccessary to set the multiplier to 2 (which would be recognized by the K6-2 & 3 as being 6) then dropping back the FSB and gradually raisng it to acceptable overclock for your system.

As far as the voltage goes, I thought the K6-3 operated on 1.8V ??
    Common enough to bump up voltage in a OC situation, usually I have seen 2.0V used for this processor.

As to the + designation on your processor - I have been led to believe this designates the processor "for notebook use".

Like I stated, I don't own an AMD (yet) just trying to remember what I have read around the web on the topic.

As to your motherboard - I refuse to even guess!!

Hopefully this will bump your reqest to the top of the list - where someone more knowledgable than myself will dispel the information I have misgiven.
    Best of luck to you!
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Yes a very similar board but I have FSB options over 100MHz to play with but if the CPU is a plus version there should be no problem usin' the multiplier to get ya to 550MHz (some rare ones will get 600MHz but I havn't come across one of them yet or the m/b's that I've used won't let me) as everyone that I've played with will do it (about 9 so far) and they will do it at 2.2volts (4 will do it at the standard 2.1 volts). But as I've never used that particular m/b I can't say why it's not doin' it for ya. But if the CPU is a non plus version your chances of gettin' it to 500MHz are slim but the best way to find out what it is is to d/l WCPUID for verification as to exactly what CPU ya have. :smokin:

[EDIT] Oh also all these I've used a Duron recommended HSF for as these CPU's do run on the warm side and the non plus version more so so if you just have one of those crappy little socket 7 HSF's that have a little 40mm fan that may also be a cause of why it won't get up. :smokin:

<center></center>

Comment

odd...

You can not download it from your access point.

Your access point was prohibited
        because other member did the dishonest operation.

wthell does that mean? lol
        i'd try it out, but it won't let me get it
        got another link handy?

Comment

Try SiSoftware Sandra as if I remember rightly it will give ya the relevant info to. :smokin:
          <center></center>

Comment

CPU nfo:
            Processor AMD-K6(tm) 3D+ Processor @ 452MHz
            Model Information K6-III 3D+ (Sharptooth) 400-500 2.2-2.4V
            Multiplier 4.5x
            L2 On-board Cache 256kB synchronous write-back (4-way, 32 byte line size)

board nfo:
            L2 External Cache 512kB pipeline-burst write-thru
            Bus Speed 1x 100MHz (100MHz data rate)
            Bus Multiplier 1/1x
            Voltage Sensor(s)
            CPU Core Voltage 2.38V

here's an interesting find, i only have 3 slots for RAM, all loaded 1 ea of 128, 256 and 512 of pc133, but sandra finds this:
            Logical/Chipset Memory Banks
            Bank 0 Setting 64MB SDRAM 7-1-1-1R 4-1-1-1W 3-3-2CL
            Bank 1 Setting 64MB SDRAM 7-1-1-1R 4-1-1-1W 3-3-2CL
            Bank 2 Setting 128MB SDRAM 7-1-1-1R 4-1-1-1W 3-3-2CL
            Bank 3 Setting 128MB SDRAM 7-1-1-1R 4-1-1-1W 3-3-2CL
            Bank 4 Setting 128MB SDRAM 7-1-1-1R 4-1-1-1W 3-3-2CL

farther down the report:
            System Memory Summary
            Total Physical Memory 512MB
            Free Physical Memory 316MB, 62%

CPU Arithmetic Benchmark
            Benchmark Results
            Dhrystone ALU 1067MIPS
            Whetstone FPU 539MFLOPS

CPU Multi-Media Benchmark
            Benchmark Results
            Integer MMX 1362it/s
            Floating-Point 3DNow! 1872it/s

:thumb:

obtw:
            new as of today news:
            this all may be a pointless excersise, as i will soon be moving this chip onto a gigabyte GA-5AX board, *if* it works.
            i had a problem with "invalid floating point" and "integer overflow" errors so i sent it back to where i got it, it tested out fine, so they say, and are sending it back
            i wanted my $ back, but that isn't gonna happen
            this time i'll do a fresh install of win2k on it - and assuming no problems, this board - the epox - will get a amd k6-2 350
            and i'll DEFINETLY need to overclock it

ok, so maybe not so pointless...

Comment

Ok with your memory the slot are called DIMMs which mean they are dual channels which will give ya two readin's per stick except for the single sided 128MB stick. ;)
              When ya go to reinstall Windows make sure that ya disable the motherboard cache as this maybe the cause of your errors (I've had to do this with all the K6-3's, K6-3+'s and K6-2+'s i've setup as Window's setup seems to have a very bad time handlin' the extra cache but for what reason I don't know (you can reinable the cache when you have finished). :thumb:
              As for the Gigabyte 5AX board 550MHz seems to be easy at 5x110MHz @ 2.2volts and work very well indead. :D
              <center></center>

Comment

Working...
              X