Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I O'C a Gateway P3 600mhz desktop PC

Hi,
    Im new to overclocking and would like any help I can get to overclock my computer. I am currently using a stock Gateway Performance Series desktop computer running at 600mhz with a P3. It has 320mb of ram and a 16mb Nvidia video card. Some additional specs are 16x dvd-rom drive, a sony spressa 4x4x6 external usb connected cdrw drive, it has phenoix bios I am unsure what version I will have to check later, 100mhz fsb, and a 10gb Quantum Fireball EIDE HD. I would apreciate any help I can get to overclock my PC.

Being a "Name" brand PC I doubt very much that the motherboard has the ability to to adjust the FSB. Sorry :(
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I'm going to have to side with Wiggo.
      I have looked into specs on several Gateway systems from time to time. The simple truth is, they cut a lot of corners in production components to keep costs to the consumer down and profits up.
      I feel reasonably certain it is safe to say your RAM is operating at 66Mhz -- every system I have ever looked at by them always used cheaper shortcuts like this for example.

That doesn't mean it's bad I suppose, I know a lot of folks who use Gateways (Check where it says I'm located, under my AV -- they assemble them here in this state.)
      But when you have advanced in needs/abilities enough to start tweaking, it is time to move on and build another system.

I'm not trying to be harsh, I just want to point out the undeniable facts of the manufacturing process that is used by Gateway and nearly every manufacture of "store-bought" PC's.
      Their bread and butter is low cost PC's sold to the typical consumer.
      There are companies that build for performance, such as Falcon Northwest for instance. If you compare prices you will see that there is about 4X the difference in price.

If you truly want to tweak that PC, start by purchasing a motherboard for your processor that was designed for tweaking.
      The ASUS P3V4X leaps to mind, and get some RAM that will run at the same FSB as your CPU, you will notice a nice performance increase.
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

lol yea talking about brand name PC;s...about 2 yrs ago b4 i went into the o/c I ALMOST bought a dell system...and to me anger at the time my parents sed that they didn;t want a black computer...lol...thank my lucky stars they had that ridicoulas idea...:cheers:

Comment

they cut a lot of corners in production components to keep costs to the consumer down and profits up.
          That is a tremendous understatement. Gateway is NOTHING but a PC assembler. They do nothing else. And since any 5 year old PC or newer does very well on todays 56K modems, people aren't buying like the used to.

Decreasing buying, and companies are forced to stay competetive to win over the buyers that DO exist. Dell is swallowing everyone up. They have so many irons in the fire, they could stop PC assembly all together and still be a huge business. Dell figures that they might as well not lay off their employees, and they are willing to take every possible profit cut to give the consumer a better deal, and therefore keep people from buying Gateway.

Gateway closed 7 plants in a single week last winter. They are going under and fast. Gateway compromises quality of components constantly, causing angry buyers, and Dell gets the majority of the would-be Gateway buyers.

Gateway is on its last leg. Warn everyone you know to not buy a Gateway, because when they go out of business, their 'warrantee' will mean nothing. I eagerly await dancing on their grave. They would already be out of business if it wasn't for their deal with the Olympics that allowed them to plaster their name on everything.

Dell on the other hand is kicking some serious ass. They use the best parts, and offer the best brand name PC money can buy. (Alienware isn't a brand name PC, lets face it, Dell sells 1000 PC's for every ONE alienware sells)

I took apart a Dell power supply the other day, that was in a Pentium 200 machine, and it had an 80mm Panaflo fan... In the Power supply !!! Noone ever would have ever seen the label, but Dell wasn't skimping. And of course, the fan still works great.

Comment

yes the problem with DELL is not there build quality but the very limited choices they offer:hammer:

Comment

ahh i've got one of these downstairs, and u will find u will have to change a jumper on the mobo, which will u let u adjust clock settings, coz if u've been in the bios u will notice the option is greyed out but is still there

anyways i haven't tried it bcoz i've got some athlon beast here :D

Comment

lol well i;ve seen numerous DELL and GATEAYS and all of them i;ve seen have no clock setting adjustement in teh bio...not even ram tweaking setings :confused:

Comment

Working...
                X