Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me plz!! Computer n00b need know what to buy: 100 or 13

Hey,

I was looking in the office depot paper yeseterday and I decided to buy some RAM. I saw a 512 MB RAM for 50 bucks and I wanted to buy it. Problem is, I don't know the difference between PC 100 (I think it was 100) and PC 133. I don't know which one is compatible with my computer. I got a pentium III computer which I bought in '00. Can anyone help me PLZ

You'll want PC-133

Comment

The faster PC133 memory is backwards with older PC's that run PC66 and PC100 memory in 99% of cases. ;)
      <center></center>

Comment

So, I'll want PC-133 is what your telling me right?

Comment

Is installing RAM on your computer hard or easy? Hell, is installing anything on your computer easy? I never opened my computer case and put anything in or taken **** out. I would like to know before I spend 50 bucks purchasing RAM.:shoot2:

Comment

Oh, my computer's a Dell btw. Heh, I don't know what motherboard it is..... My friend said you shouldn't just pick one to buy. You have to know what your motherboard is, and what it's compatible with.... Well, I know I have a DELL that I bought in '00 that's a pentium III but I don't know what motherboard it has. =\ This sucks. I need new RAM!!!!!!!!!!!! Half the time my RAM is about 27% free. =\

Comment

Probably that Dell uses PC-100 or even 66 (cost cutting by manufacturers you know).
              However, we're gonna' require some hard specifications on that system in order to give you a specific answer.
              As stated by Wiggo, PC-133 is backwards compatible in nearly all cases.

As far as installation goes, turn off and unplug the system. Remove the cover from the case. Locate the motherboard. Gently place the new RAM into the RAM slots on the board. Replace cover, plug in system. Turn the PC on. The system should (again, SHOULD) recognize and utilize the new goodies.

For any possibility of a more specific answer, Dell Model#'s, motherboard manufacturer & model, would go a long way in helping you.:)
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Screw this post...

I found my answer... After hellish-long hours of going in search engines and stuff like that, I have found my answer to my problem.. The website was http://www.crucial.com or something like that. It was a user-friendly site, that first, you go to the drop-down menu and you clicked on Personal Computation or something like that. [This website sucks if you built your own computer] Then you selected what brand you had, what model, what edition, then it shows you what RAM is compatible with the computer. That website saved my problems!:thumb:

Comment

Just as a helpful hint before ya touch any components make sure that ya discharge any static electricity that your body my have (the metal taps and spouts to ya household plumbing will do this just by touching them). ;)
                  <center></center>

Comment

Well done shroomcow.
                    Research always pays when your going to upgrade or build:thumb:

I buy all my memory from Crucial - you're absolutely right, that site is well built. More companies could learn from them.

You'll be happy to know that in my experience with Crucial, their delivery is FAST FAST!

Hopefully you shall see a nice performance gain right away.
                    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by shroomcow
                      [This website sucks if you built your own computer]

Actually, it is very good for those who build their own systems. I use nothing but Crucial memory in every computer that I build because it is very high quality, overclocks well, and is very competitive in cost.

And the pull down menus have a section that list motherboards by manufacturer and model, so it's pretty easy for us too. But then again, I just go to the generic lists of memory types and choose what I need. ;)

Glad your problem is solved. You'll like the memory... Top Notch! :D
                      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                      My Toys

Comment

Working...
                      X