Don't Discount SiS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Discount SiS

Lately SiS has been coping a bit of bad press over their products. While SiS did manage to turn a few heads with SiS 735 and 745 for AMD as well as the 645 adn 645DX for Intel P4. It still hasn't given everyone a great impression.

After looking at some specs that SiS have provided me (which they have asked me not to fully post yet) their upcomming Pentium 4 offering will be the ultimate.

Among the top contenders on the SiS 648 chipset you will get 6 banks of DDR SDRAM (total of 3GB) at 400Mhz+ (clock options are open for overclocking). 533FSB support, Full AGP8x support for Xabre and many new 8x AGP cards comming, This means 4x and 8x only since the chipset will be keyed for 1.5v or 0.9v AGP operations

Also included is Serial ATA support in the new 963 southbridge which interconnects to the north at 533MB/s, Apart from AMD's Hyperpoint, this is the fastest link avalible. USB2.0 and Firewire are all standard in this new Southbridge as well as SiS 901 LAN and 701 AC'97 6 Channel Sound.

Thats just what is to come from SiS

it will be very interesting to see just how fast this new chipset is.

the SIS645 looked great on paper - and some of the boards ran great, plus they were a real bargin too.
    But there is just so many instances of instability and/or defective boards it's not worth the risk.:thumbs do

Comment

Yes there does seem to be a quality factor that they need to improve on. : peace2:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Yeah fully agree on that part. SiS does need to work a little hardwer on stability with their chipsets. Some of the boards i got with SiS, shockers. lately the 645DXhas proven alot better than their pervious efforts

and looks like SiS has upgraded teh data path between the North and South bridges

its now 1.2GB/s between the north adn 963 south.

Looking foward to seeing how this affects Serial ATA, can only help it

Comment

I hope SIS does pull it together - I keep eyeing the nice looking Epox SIS P4 boards that my supplier is carrying for about a third less $$$'s than an equivalent i845 board ton's of nice features - but I don't think I'll risk it - an unstable board is not a good deal at any price

Comment

You looking at the 4SDA+???

That board was stable as hell for me, however, 2 others that I know who purchased that board had super huge problems.

See EPoX don't put the 4 pin connector on that board. So people assume it will run with any normal 300w or so PSU

WRONG. You still need one that will supply the required 8a on teh 12v line. if not you are just gunna have super problems

See even without the P4 connector, the 12v rail on the motherboard is re-enforced to support the 8a traveling through it, and the 8a will go through the motherboard 20 pin connector.

Others have had good go with this board with propper PSU's

EPoX is getting its SiS 648 line into testing phases very shortly, and from what i have been told, they carry the 4 pin connector for extra insurance of power.

Comment

Working...
            X