• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of power would this need...

Heres what I wanna make.

1 Gateway running Redhat Linux
    1 Webserver

I know the gateway would only require a 486, but what about the web server? Its small scale, and gets only about 200 hits a day and I doubt there are many times where there is more than one person viewing the page at once.

What I have to work with so far is an old Pentium P100 w/32MB of RAM. I was going to use this as the gateway but if I can pump it up enough to run the web server that would save money.

So what kind of specs am I looking at here?

i'd say you are best off to run with what you've got then see if it can handle the load... if not add parts to it until it can or get a seperate machine... simple..
    SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
    Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

Having the webserver on the same computer as the gateway would completely defeat the purpose of the gateway. Its not supposed to have any open ports besides 22, by putting a web server on it, many other ports would be open not to mention the flaws that could be exploited with the software.

The web server must be on a different computer behind the gateway.

:thumb:

Comment

Well ya could try pickin' up an old workin' 486 then to use as a gateway as most ppl just give them away these days and see how the one ya have goes as the webserver. ;)
        <center></center>

Comment

Working...
        X