AMD 1700+XP Cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD 1700+XP Cooling

I'm running an FIC AN11 Stealth with a 1700+XP processer, 1 front 80mm fan intake, 1 80mm fan out the back and 1 40mm out the back. I'm running an SVC Goldengate 40 heatsink with a YS-tech 40cfm fan. I am using the thermal compond that came with it.
    I'm trying like crazy to keep this thing cool. I have a new case on the way that may help a little, it has room for more fans then the one I have now. I'm running consistant temps between 42c and 48c. My question is: Is this acceptable temps for this processer and am I getting excited about nothing. If these temps are high, could someone please recommend some good options, like Arctic 3 thermal grease or ???? whatever.
    Thanks in advance,
    Logan826

i don't think they are anything to worry about..i mean i am running 37 to 42 myself...depending if it under alot of load or not.: peace2:
    - Damien

Comment

ohio wen u get say, 48 load temp, what kind of ambient temp do u have? also wat mobo do u have?:cheers:

Comment

from my experience, i would say not to use the thermal pad that came with the hsf, get yourself some arctic silver and enjoy!
        my 2100+ runs at 41 ambient,, and about 45 under full load. apparently amd says that the ideal temperature is 45 for the xp chips. so dont stress too much, but im sure the arctic silver would help (im running my o/c'd xp at the same temp that i was running my 1.2ghz tbird)

Comment

If you can keep it below 50c under full load then ya ok but the lower the better. :smokin:
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Chisholm, I'm running an FIC AN-11 Stealth, with a 1700+XP processer. I'm a little new to the cooling game, so when you say ambient temp, I'm not sure what your refering to. If it's my internal case temp, it stays right around 39c to 41c all the time. That the other question, is this a good temp for the case or no ?
            Thanks,
            Logan826

Comment

Ambient temperature refers to the temperature in the room where the box sits. Mine, for example, sits in a room where the ambient temperature is about 70F (which works out to 21C).

As a general rule, if you can keep the processor temperatures under 50C, then you'll be doing fine (just as Wiggo stated). I always shoot for no more than 45C, but that's just a personal goal of mine. You won't be taking any of the life off the processor by running it at 50C.

Finally, your 39C case temperature seems a bit on the high side. Mine usually runs at 28-29C when the system is under full load. This indicates that you might do well with some better case cooling. Time to get out the Dremel. ;)
              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
              My Toys

Comment

Thanks, this seems to bring some light to things. The room is around 72F, but on hot days it can hit 80F just because of the location of the room in the house. As for the case cooling, I have a better case on the way that has 3 80mm fans, 2 in the lower side and one in the front with expansion for 2 more which I'm adding before putting it togeather. From what I've heard I think the Arctic III thermal grease will help (which is one the way in the same shipment). I just wanted to make sure that getting the new case, fans and Arctic III was a waste, but I see it's not and will help. Thanks for all the help guys, I'm glad I joined this forum.
                Logan826

Comment

I also have a xp 1700 running at a fsb of 147 so 1620mhz. Idle temp is 33 degrees. Load temp is 39. I'm running a dragon orb 3 with 6 case fans hehe. 3 in front, 2 in back, 1 on top, 1 on the side.

Comment

wat votlage u using?wait does ur mobo hav voltage adjustment?

Comment

I am running the standard voltage 1.75. There is no need for me to raise the voltage! It is a ECS k7s5a with overclockers bios.

Comment

I almost picked up the dragon orb 3 today or the new 7+ but couldn't bring myself to the $50 cost just yet. I may have to though if I want to get the temps down on this thing. I'm going to wait until I get the new case and Arctic 3 installed and see what happens, then go from there.
                        Logan826

Comment

you guys are lucky, my xp 1800 got 55 degrees average and the higest is 60 degress C ! I'm using standard HSF from AMD and my case have 2 80' intake, 2 80' exhaust. I wonder what went wrong with my PC :confused:

Comment

The HSF's supplied by AMD are really nowhere near the best available just enough to do the job, in most cases, sometimes not though. :smokin:
                            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

The Volcano 7+ will FAR out-perform the Dragon Orb. So choose wisely

Comment

Working...
                              X