Linux filenames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux filenames

What is the Linux filenaming convention? I see file names like: file.filename.tar.gz, and some rpm names which are even longer.

What do all of the seperating periods mean?

I'm coming over from windows, so I'm used to the filename.ext. How do I tell which linux files are executable, etc? Also, I read somewhere that a file such as: ".filename" is considered hidden. How do I show hidden files?

I'm using Redhat 7.2 distro.

Thanks ahead for any help.

"ls -al" will show all files, and an executable file will have a -x flag eg;
    [code:1:ca97774d6f]
    bern@grendel bern$ ls -al /usr/bin/ls
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Jun 21 04:07 /usr/bin/ls -> /bin/ls
    bern@grendel bern$
    [/code:1:ca97774d6f]
    Do "man ls" for all the available options for the ls command and "man chmod" for info on permissions (the -x flag is a permission).
    File names can be many and varied with linux and one thing to remember is linux is case sensitive and you can have two files with the same name in the same directory such as FILE.TXT and file.txt. A .tar file is a tarball (see "man tar") and a .gz file is a compressed archive much the same as a .zip file in windows (see "man gzip"). You might have noticed a pattern with the "man" command, it's the unix manual page and there are a ****e load of them on your system covering almost every command, program and quite a few files used for system configuration, quess what command you do for more info on the man command?
    p-two.net

Comment

Working...
    X