Is this really necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this really necessary?

Note: Before I get started, I will warn you that old hardware is involved in this message. Those sensitive to my out-dated stuff should tread carefully. ;)

Specs first:
    Asus A7V - Thunderbird 900 (Nothing OC'd, sorta the point of this)
    256Megs of PC133 SDRAM
    Geforce 2MX 200
    SBLive!
    Running system with 120mm fan attached to side of case, blowing inward to produce airflow. This increases the CPU fan speed, and helps to keep the air moving (In theory, I'm stupid, so don't peg me here).

I've grown quite tired of the noise my system produces as of late and I've been running through the various options to relieve my ears of the pain. Originally, what happened when I first placed this system together, I used the stock AMD heatsink/fan combo that comes with the retail box CPU. Now, you would think running at a regular speed that the stock fan would be enough right? Wrong, it seemed that everytime I played Q3 my machine would lockup once it got hot enough. It's breaking point seemed to be at around 56C (I used Celcius back then, ew) So I went out to another computer show and I bought a Thermaltake Chrome Orb for about 5 dollars thinking it might help. Wrong again. My cpu's idle temp went down about 1C... nice, but not nearly what I needed to keep it from burning up ;p So, not wanting to wait for the next computer show, I located a 120mm industrial fan I had laying around and drilled a hole in the side of my case the exact size of the fan well. This has worked great for the last 2 years or so. But, I've grown quite tired of the noise the fan produces. I don't plan on building another system too incredibly soon (My guess it around Jan, 03) so I'd like to try to fix this problem.

Honestly, I don't know why the stock fan wasn't enough...

I've basically came up with a few solutions with a few suggestions from my friends:
    Get some Arctic Silver
    Get a bigger Heatsink/fan (Hard, because the A7V has a small area around the CPU to work with for the larger models)
    Maybe a newer mobo
    Somehow make the 120mm more quiet?

All of which, cost money... ew :D

Any suggestions on helping me lower the CPU temp would be great, maybe so I can unplug my 120mm and give my ears a break!

Thanks!
    - DarkFlash

You maybe getting air into the case but are you able to get the air out just as quickly? Also the standard and Orb HSF's are not very good at all and my recommendation would be the Thermaltake Volcano 7+ and used with the medium fan speed for a good price / performance ratio. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Or wait for a bit and get the new Volcano 9 when it is released by Thermaltake. It probably won't be a cheap one, but it's rock solid! It will also transfer nicely into a newer system if you decide to upgrade in a bit. :)
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Yea, I was poking at Thermaltake's latest offerings, they look good... But I worry that they won't fit on my board due to the amount of capacitors and such laying around the CPU socket. I'll take a closer look though. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet eventually... I just fear replacing the darn thing... I remember how much trouble it was to get the Orb on there, without feeling like you were about to crack the dye.

I'll try to wait for the Volcano 9 though, if that looks better. As for using it on my upgraded system as well... I'm not too certain. I plan on making an Intel system to avoid the heat issues and maybe the VIA issues... But, then again, I really haven't been keeping up with Intel technologies lately ;)

Thanks for the advice!
        - DarkFlash

Comment

As the problem is in part related to extended use of your video card at full capability, I think it may be good to put in a slot cooler to draw the heat from the graphics card out of the case ASAP.

This is of course not a substitute for Dathtanion's and Wiggo's suggestions, but as an additional measure. Every little bit counts.
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

yea the best solution would be to mod anoteh fan next to your video card...u don;t have to sacrafice performance for noise...i have 2 120mm fans on the side...2 sunons running at 7V..they are pretti quiet and still push about 70cfm:cheers: and use a 80mm 40cfm high speed panaflow at the bak...of course this will cost money:bounce: :bounce2: :bounce:

Comment

Ya certainly like that 7v mod don't ya? :D

Comment

if i was you i would pay that bit extra and get a thermatake dragon orb cooler and use acrilic silver 3 as a compound.

this fan is a massive 7000rpm monster and the heatsink is so so clever. loads of copper loads of aluminium great cooling power, took 21'c off my cpu temp ...!

try www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk - there is a decent review on there

W.O.R.D
                Dazza B

Comment

Sorry but I'd prefer the Volcano 7+ over the Dragon any day. :smokin:
                  <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

no no no, how can you say that !! wash your mouth out !!

Every review i have every read bigs up th dragon more than any other heatsink fan in its class

Unleash the Dragon

Comment

When the Dragon Orb 3 cooler hit the market, it was the opportunity for Thermaltake to finally say that the Orb style cooler can really work. It was a decent cooler and handled cooling well.

Since then, however, Thermaltake has gone back to a more traditional style of cooler. If you take a moment and ask yourself "WHY?", then you'll see that they did it because it offers better cooling. I've tested both of the coolers in question here and can tell you straight up that the Volcano 7+ is the better cooler.

And as I mentioned above, the Volcano 9 is even better still. It will be hitting the stores soon so keep your eyes peeled. It has taken the place in my own system as my standard cooler. If you consider the sheer numbers of coolers that I have tested, then you'll see that it says a lot. I would put the Volcano 7+ as my number 2 or 3 choice.
                      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                      My Toys

Comment

Working...
                      X